Third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have shopped around a bit. But we had some nasty weather coming in, and I wanted it ASAP. If this one fails next go 'round, I'll go aftermarket. I gotta say though, installing it was a serious pain in the ass.

FireLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have shopped around a bit. But we had some nasty weather coming in, and I wanted it ASAP. If this one fails next go 'round, I'll go aftermarket. I gotta say though, installing it was a serious pain in the ass.
Yes, the install.. another reason I want them to do it.. did the oem one you installed have the beefier gasket?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just installed one this week. Ordered from tasca was around 85$. The gasket is beefier but it's the same material once dirt gets involved it will dry rot like the original.

Original lasted 2.5 years, 59k miles and several runs

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea... big spongy gasket. The old one was no thicker than wet suit neoprene.

The install would have been easier if I had a longer flathead screwdriver I could have modified for pushing the clips through, and if I'd known that pushing those clips through was only going to net me about 2 inches of slack.

Ultimately, I opened the rear slider, and slid my hand up into the headliner to hold the plug in place while I swapped harnesses. If I had to do it again, with the custom flathead, I could do it all in probably 5 minutes.

JoshLEO137

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, next time I'll keep the harness and just replace the light

I have a replacement coming next week. I see it has a new harness as well. Any reason to not just unplug the light and keep the stock harness so no need to mess with it?

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAD to replace my harness. The stock bulb holders were 4 bump, whereas the new and improved housing is 2 bump. My truck is a 2011, maybe the newer years don't have this problem.

JoshLEO137

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAD to replace my harness. The stock bulb holders were 4 bump, whereas the new and improved housing is 2 bump. My truck is a 2011, maybe the newer years don't have this problem.

I will have to look at that on mine, I have a 2011 also. Since I tinted my light I'm just going to leave the cargo lights out so doesn't really matter to me I guess.