Thinking of going from Sierra 6.2 to raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so I found out I totaled my ‘15 GMC Sierra 6.2 4x4, was a crew cab loaded all terrain w/ Bilstein 5100s swing boxes/tonneau etc. ticked off I just did the brakes too. Had some issues w/ tranny shifting & failed starter + a couple AFM lifters replaced but all covered under warranty except for a front wheel bearing that started getting noisy @ 50-55k I am bummed b/c I owned it outright haven’t had a payment in a year etc. on the other hand it had a # of issues & the radio/touch screen display was starting to get wonky.

That was my 3rd GM truck & while it had great mpg & I really liked the looks of it & while the AFM stuff is garbage GM V8s are great for power/efficiency - I figured I’d put a DOD delete cam in it @ some point.

What are the raptors like for reliability w/ the new design? My understanding is the previous gen V8s were fairly stout? I heard there were some transfer case/engine seal leakage issues?

How bad is the mileage in real world? I averaged about 16 mixed on my truck running 33”s 2” level & removed air dam. It could get 20 cruising on hay @ 72 tho

I’m test driving one tomorrow & looking at another sat- also going to check out rams but the reliability concerns me.

Lastly what is the price I could expect? I know they’re not discounting as much as GM w/ leftover ‘18s (I am not interested in the 19s don’t want 1st year of a new model). I think a $64k Denali truck could be had for $52-54k today.

Raptors I’m looking @ sticker for $64-$65k, dealers seemed willing to knock $3-4K off verbally over phone. Presidents weekend may have additionally incentives?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

A few of the V8 Raptor owners who traded for the 17+ model reluctantly admitted there were some problems with the previous generation, but only in hushed tones. The new one has proven pretty good for the time it’s been out. The big concern I see is that Ford seems to keep a very low parts inventory so that when you go in for a repair that needs a ‘hard part’, you’re going to be waiting.

Economy can be pretty good in the new Rap. at 55-60 average, I can pull just a tick over 20mpg. At 70-72, somewhere between 17-18. at 75 and up, it’s maybe 15.5

Some Ford dealers seem to be stuck on stupid, demanding MSRP or more for the Raptors. don’t pay that.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks- that’s a start, my take is big reason for the lower mileage are the heavy ass LT KO2s & the deep gears + bad aero- which is gonna be the case for any truck. I actually put some 275/65R20 BFG K02s on my GMC & took me off after a couple days the drop in MPG/braking/acceleration was immediately noticeable, I put on 275/60r20 nitto terra grapplers that weigh in 13-15 lbs lighter a piece.

If I can get this $65k raptor for under $60k I would probably pull the trigger.

Few concerns I do have- not sure I’m gonna like the exhaust note, could even be a deal breaker. My GMC 6.2 w/ a Gibson catback sounded awesome.

Will see how I like it after test drive- I did drive the older V8 one but it’s been a while.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s not a bad exhaust note, but if you’re a v8 or nothing type of enthusiast, don’t even bother with the test drive. This vendor has done a pretty good job with the exhaust - [LISTEN] Presenting the AWE FG Exhaust Suite. Available now.

The louder you make the 3.5TT, the more raspy it gets and at a certain point, that’s just not for me. The cabin is pretty quiet stock, and that’s actually pretty good for traveling.

here’s some things I observed. I don’t generally like turbos, because I don’t like turbo lag. The Rap does a good job mitigating it. It’s there, and if you romp it enough - especially if you go to Raptor Assault, you’ll notice it. That said, they move out sharply for a 5700 pound truck. Some are not a fan of the 10 speed transmission. There’s a lot of people who proclaim it to be ‘busy’ or busier than the outgoing 6 speed. It is, but I like the 10 speed.

drive modes; there’s no memory, the truck defaults to normal mode. I had one of the first batch of 2017’s, but mine was held back for QA to the tune of about 100+ miles. They made a few replacements and 1 or 2 reprogramming entries. Even so, I find the truck’s “normal mode” to pretty lazy. I had the PCM/TCM flashed to the latest tune in late 2018 and that made a huge difference.
Sport mode is much more responsive, obviously. If you don’t get the truck tuned, the Pedal Commander is a good answer to lazy normal mode throttle response.

The seats are great, SCREW has great room, and I’ve grown to appreciate the 360 camera.

good luck.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks- that’s a start, my take is big reason for the lower mileage are the heavy ass LT KO2s & the deep gears + bad aero- which is gonna be the case for any truck. I actually put some 275/65R20 BFG K02s on my GMC & took me off after a couple days the drop in MPG/braking/acceleration was immediately noticeable, I put on 275/60r20 nitto terra grapplers that weigh in 13-15 lbs lighter a piece.

If I can get this $65k raptor for under $60k I would probably pull the trigger.

Few concerns I do have- not sure I’m gonna like the exhaust note, could even be a deal breaker. My GMC 6.2 w/ a Gibson catback sounded awesome.

Will see how I like it after test drive- I did drive the older V8 one but it’s been a while.

Im guessing youre not gonna like the truck.
Also, you arent going to get discounts on a ford performance vehicle like you would with an off the lot GM.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drove it, like it a lot. Thinking of pulling the trigger changing it up some from my usual rig. Ironically I find it a little more “grown up” vs. my louder, slightly taller, blacked out GMC. Was astonished how quiet it was inside the cabin even @ hwy speeds & even w/ windows down. Super smooth over the road, not nearly as floaty or tippy as I anticipated - actually handled/cornered ok. Somehow seemed like turning radius is equal to my old 6.2?

Mileage was about what expected over my test drive of 20 miles on/off hwy got on it a few times & put cruise on @ 72-78 on hwy returned 14.8 - and obvi I get it isn’t broken in yet.

Seemed to take a while for the engine to warm up which was odd, the tranny shifted a little jerky initially then smoothed out after a few miles, Not much different than the 8 speed I had except I feel
Like this could smooth out more after break-in. I really liked the dual panel sunroof. Interior is comfy & the nav/touch screen seemed equal to my GMC in terms of ease of use.

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on it. Stickered around $65.5k which is nearly the cheapest available in 100 miles if you can believe it. I think I can get it down to $60k anyhow before ttl

Only thing I’d want for it are weather tech mats, tints, & a tonneau.

I had a viny fri-fold hard cover over the rails in my GMC- anything similar available via ford? I bought it aftermarket but I think the one I had (advantage hard hat) is the same as make as what GM offered as their own.

May be chiming back as a new owner.....time for a change. GM has had enough of my $$$