Thinking of going from Sierra 6.2 to raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I did! Signing papers & dropping plates off now

I don’t know... sounds fishy.

Pics.

or you really bought this:
images

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how to post . Black on black/grey w/ 801A got it for $59500 w/ a tonneau +ttl

Has the dual pane sunroof/bead locks/Navi - some other stuff I’m forgetting. Sticker around $65.8 I think I got a decent deal.

Real excited should have it before end of Next week.

My totaled GMC & new Raptor

2D9A31BC-B3F1-4A55-98D8-931F5D788AF5.jpeg

3363E1C2-8C8F-40B7-A3B9-C5E1FEDFECF8.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't see how that's a total..
I could post more pics - but the driver side fender/wheel got scraped up against the guard rail, neither side front door will fully open due to fenders being pushed in, the hood - which is AL - is warped = replacement, inside every single airbag went off destroying headliner, part of the dash & steering wheel, thing even bent a damn tow recovery hook in front from the impact - I hit a 150-200 lb deer head on @70 mph

Radiator support/frame dented, radiator itself is damaged, etc.

When you add it up its easy to see why it was totaled....I know the gut reaction, "but its worth so much how could the damage exceed $20k" etc. - well, yeah it IS WORTH ALOT - worth alot in parts too, so they factor in the value as a salvage parts vehicle quite high as well & that $$$ goes back into their pockets, vs. the unknown additional costs that may (will) pop up as a body shop starts the dismantling/repair process.

Pipo6007

Reaction score
How has the raptor been? I’m on the fence on a 62K MSRP or 69K MSRP. Getting about the same off sticker. One is a 801 but no sunroof and the other is an 802 with tech package. I’d prefer the sunroof over the tech though.
Like to hear your thoughts after owning it for a few months. Any regrets?

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How has the raptor been? I’m on the fence on a 62K MSRP or 69K MSRP. Getting about the same off sticker. One is a 801 but no sunroof and the other is an 802 with tech package. I’d prefer the sunroof over the tech though.
Like to hear your thoughts after owning it for a few months. Any regrets?

NO regrets, love the truck just came back from 900 mile road trip w/ my 80 year old boss riding for a good clip said it’s “the most comfortable truck/SUV he’s spent time in”

4500 miles in & averaging 15.8 mpg running premium, but this last 900 mile trip I got 16.5 (80% hwy but I drive a lot local roads & idle a bit)- the first 1000-1500 miles it felt a lil slower than it does now, didn’t shift as smooth & got much worse mpg like 14-14.5 tops, the first 500 was the worst but I also think it had old/low octane gas- it had been on lot for 5 months & only had 120 miles when I got it. I’ve only put 93 in it since & it def prefers it.

This is the best DD I’ve ever owned period by far- the best combination of sport/good looks/uniqueness/utility/exclusivity/etc. it’s a great compromise for a gear head who wants it all. It is the most satisfying vehicle purchase I’ve ever had in my life & im in the mid 20s.....starting to lose count.

I had a modded G8 GT I really loved & would run snows on it- I’ve had 3 GM trucks- an ‘07 Chevy LtZ, ‘14 Sierra 5.3 SLT, & this last ‘15 6.2 that got totaled - I have a soft spot for GM V8s - but I hate the AFM shit- GM seems to use slighter higher end interior trims, maybe little tighter interior fit/finish, I liked the storage setup a little better in the GM but now the Ford is growing on me (mainly I liked how you could put a full bottle of wine in the door panel- can’t on the Ford)

While the interior fit/finish/touches don’t seem as nice everything works properly (my infotainment started acting haywire & was slow in my Sierra) - the Raptor is just a MUCH “tighter” vehicle overall. The only squeaks/rattles I can see people complaining about is the pano roof- you need to do some maintenance lubing/cleaning it every 4-6 months or u may run into issues possibly, I researched this myself & still opted to get one.

The 802a Carbon recaro package really steps the interior & the whole truck up. But I have a highly optioned 801a & while it lacks some dumb stuff -I get very comfy perforated 2 tone leather 10 way power lumbar heated seats...but no memory - that’s really my only gripe. Seats are only 2nd in comfort to the ones in my old GTO. Other options on mine were the led bed & spot lighting, tailgate appliqué, beadlocks, BLIS, etc- stickered for $66,800 I think, really liked how the dealer specd it aside from the $1075 bed stickers I had removed.

It has the best steering wheel of any vehicle I’ve ever owned been in or driven especially in terms of matching it’s purpose, it is the best riding truck I’ve ever been in- that includes Denali trucks AND Escalades. Almost Perfect combo of tight cornering & impact absorption.

Amazingly there are situations in this truck where I’m making mid corner corrections @ speed & despite being a purpose built off-road truck it can handle & change direct surprisingly well. Ford hit this outta the park.

I don’t miss the V8 other than the sound. The raptor has torque all over, it’s ridiculous in sport mode w/ this 10 speed wearing ******** 35” K02s & absolutely rips from like 60-100

It’s a legit jack of all trades. If you live in a very cold wintry climate this is a truck that would benefit from studded snows, but that’s more a knock on the K02s & a testament to the Raptors power

Unlike our GM trucks (or any 1.2 ton) it can truly run in “awd” not 4 auto- special transfer case w/ 2 drive shafts. That Means no extra wear/tear no chance of binding in dry weather + helps save the tires & USE THAT POWER

Where my old 8 speed 6.2 GM would think a split second after I slammed the throttle, then drop either too many or too few gears (surprises are great but not when piloting a 3 ton vehicle) then either run the chance of clunking from the TC/SC kicking in, kick completely sideways, or experience bad wheel hop - or spin tires in place for a second & scoot too @ times- the Raptor just does a great job at hooking up given what it is- although sometimes I do think it’s spinning tires in place during acceleration lol

I dunno I could keep going on but I think best Thing I can is just tell you - DO IT - I regret nothing- I’m not sure I’d necessarily want a regular F150, but the Raptor may as well be a different vehicle- different transfer case, extra frame bracing, different engine internals (shares guts w/ Ford GT motor including forged crank), different A-arms, spindles, ball joints, bushings, bearings, shocks, springs, diffs (4.10 lockers), fenders, seats, steering wheel, grill, hood, etc etc etc so you can just “LOL” @ people that call it a “package” - it’s a damn “superyruck” & will handle an extra 100hp/tq (@ crank) from only a tune w/ ease.

Lastly- the 10 speed? Best traditional torque converter automatic I’ve ever driven. Period. No question.

Do it.

If you can swing it get the carbon/recaro, The ONLY thing I don’t have that I really would prefer is the memory seat function cuz I hate when people change it on ya so tough to get it back, so I disconnected pigtail to the power seat motor ahhaahahah
But that comes w-802a (also huge info screen)

I’m spicing up the sorta dark interior w/ a katzkin custom leather
Over the center armrest w/ a 1.5” red stripe through middle to match wheel. The pano roof helps “brighten up” interior quite a bit. As would the recaros, but I can’t really nit pick.

This is the best 1/2 ton truck ever made to date, period. There’s no question- if you can afford it & don’t need an HD to tow, there’s no better truck on earth (factory anyhow).

You’ll hear there’s a “super raptor” supercharged 5.2 coming out, consider this- coming from a guy about to put an A&A on a cammed Z06- I don’t give a flying F- as a do it all DD I’d prefer my ttV6 w/ a Cobb tune.

Do it

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you like it. Very good review. I was wondering how all these guys claim to be getting upper teens in MPG. Not that I care, but I can't seem to get above 14 MPG. Mine is also brand new (600 miles) and hopefully will go up just as yours has. I've only filled up once so far and put 93 in it. I'm used to running 93 since all my previous vehicles utilized it. (18 Mustang GT, 17 Focus RS, 14 Mustang GT).

My only complaint is the 10 speed. It's funny because I had the same tranny in my 18 Mustang GT and that was single handedly the best auto I've ever driver. I know it's the exact same tranny in the Raptor, just with different programming, but it didn't seem to be as sharp in the Raptor. I'm going to give it a lot more time and miles before making real judgement on it.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you like it. Very good review. I was wondering how all these guys claim to be getting upper teens in MPG. Not that I care, but I can't seem to get above 14 MPG. Mine is also brand new (600 miles) and hopefully will go up just as yours has. I've only filled up once so far and put 93 in it. I'm used to running 93 since all my previous vehicles utilized it. (18 Mustang GT, 17 Focus RS, 14 Mustang GT).

My only complaint is the 10 speed. It's funny because I had the same tranny in my 18 Mustang GT and that was single handedly the best auto I've ever driver. I know it's the exact same tranny in the Raptor, just with different programming, but it didn't seem to be as sharp in the Raptor. I'm going to give it a lot more time and miles before making real judgement on it.

Yes- like I said I’d say it didn’t really wake up until 1500-2000 miles somewhere in between there everything started working more smoothly- and that’s how I would describe the way this truck performs- smooth. Best way I can describe the tranny now is there’s NO WAY I could tell it were a 10 speed if you could somehow erase that from my memory bank & I just drove it for first time now it just goes about its business w/ zero drama.

The only time I ever experienced a “clunk” or jerky shift now that it’s broken in was running it in sport mode fairly aggressively coming down an off ramp & having to brake/decelerate a lot sooner than I had anticipated due to getting cut off as a light went from green to yellow- right as the truck came to a fairly abrupt stop I felt it sorta “clunk” from 4th to 1st - but I don’t think it would have happened in normal drive mode or if I didn’t have to stand on the brake like that.

I’m very tempted to try a tune on this truck b/c I can tell now that it’s broken in there’s absolutely more power on tap, those turbos wanna spool lol! I’m just going to be conservative & put at least 10-15k Miles first get a full year of ownership before doing that. I did get a 100k extended warranty too so it’s not like I wanna just toss that out- although it seems like I got a well built Raptor w/ no issues thus far. The 8 speed auto GM has been running is pure crap- & they know it, they knew it from the beginning it was only a band-aid/stop gap measure until they debuted this jointly developed 10 speed w/ Ford.

My newer GMs had the following issues - both shook on hwy, the ‘14 worse than the ‘15 @ any speed over 60, tried all kinds of stuff didn’t help. My buddy’s got ‘17 Denali ultimate & same problem- how sad is it that a 3.5” lifted off-road truck on 35”s w/ 4.10s rides 10x smoother by comparison!!?? Also - 3rd brake light leak, dropped lifters/damaged valves from AFM ******** bed, oxidized/damaged fuel rail & injectors, infotainment screen would lock up or just behave as if a ghost was randomly tapping the screen- no fix & rendered the factory nav useless- Fords sync is way better/quicker - & that goes for comparison w/ ‘19 GMs too. Front wheel bearing went bad @ 50k miles. Starter went bad @ 35k miles & left me stranded.

I mean I could go on and on. Thing was developing some good rattles by 62k Miles too- I know it’s too early to make that call on the Raptor w/ any fairness, but I truly do not believe it’ll be any different in another 60k miles either- especially if you’re taking the thing dune jumping or rock crawling all the time lol

The only way I’d consider another truck is if I had something to tow that weighed more than 6-7k OR if I was contractor or something that required I carry 1000 lbs or more in the bed on a regular basis....and if that were the case I’d be getting ‘19 Cummins.

I shopped HD trucks initially before I found a couple dealers willing to drop price on A Raptor- many dealers in my area would not budge off MSRP or were still asking premiums over sticker. Reason I leaned toward a HD is b/c I felt like the 1/2 tons today get more $$$ spent on saving mpg/interior comfort/tech/unique storage etc. over the mechanical bits that take abuse/wear & tear when actually using them as trucks lol BUT - HD trucks are not discounted heavily - dealers know they’ll sell & hold value, to get an HD optioned w/ the creature comforts of most 1/2 tons they get real expensive.

Again that’s why I was so drawn to the raptor. I did a lot of research. The shocks/suspension is obviously upgraded in a raptor but the A-arms/spindles/tie-rods/bushings/bearings are also.
The frame has been reinforced over a standar F150. The 3.5EB in the Raptor shares forged internals/head & cylinder head design w/ Ford GT- the turbos are larger than the other 3.5EBs (smaller than the GTs tho) I feel like this all adds up to a truck that will hold up well over time & sorta bridges the gap between a 1/2 ton & HD in terms of the beefiness of a lot of the components.

If you can’t tell- this former GM fan boy is smitten w/ a Ford lol! I’ll still keep my Z06 forever & would prefer a vette/Camaro over a mustang, but Ford has won me over in the truck/SUV dept now. I did own a couple Rangers over the years as “winter beaters” to compliment my affection for sports cars/sedans as DDs before I could afford a new full size truck as a DD along w/ a toy/hobby ride. A ‘98 ranger that went 178k w/o issue until my buddy put into a wall, & an ‘89 ranger that went 290k on original manual tranny (only 2 clutches)