The Tune by SVC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Had to read back. My big mistake. Would have to dyno and I dont know what these trucks really dyno stock on a Dynojet. I would think 20 maybe 30 more bhp (crank) on your setup. Then to get a rwhp idea substract aprox 20%

mike.s

Reaction score
My truck got 327 rwhp on a dynojet with Corsa exhaust, K&N intake, and 5Star tune. I thought it would be higher. I've saw someone get 312 rwhp stock.

Drivetrain loss is somewhere between 20 and 25 percent.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I was hoping 50 (40rwhp) improvement. You're thinking maybe 20 or 30? Ok, that's helpful. The fact I was hoping for 40 is because I probably knew it would be less. So a tune with simple bolt ons yields 20-30rwhp more? That seems very low for the money spent, which I guess I always knew to be the case.

So if I (optimistically) picked 30rwhp improvement, that would be about 36hp at the crank, which would put the total at about 447hp? I know I'm just guessing but just wanted to figure out a realistic number. I doubt I would dyno it to prove it out. Or maybe.....

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

My truck got 327 rwhp on a dynojet with Corsa exhaust, K&N intake, and 5Star tune. I thought it would be higher. I've saw someone get 312 rwhp stock.

Drivetrain loss is somewhere between 20 and 25 percent.

So you are saying you got less than 20rwhp improvement? Did you get a stock baseline of yours?

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Here's two interesting articles. Dyno numbers are so volatile there bring so many conditions that can impact the results, but these at least give an idea of stock.

Ford Raptor 6.2 dyno'd again, makes even more power - Autoblog

2011 Ford Raptor - Performance Bolt-ons - Truckin' Magazine

Last edited:

TurboEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally believe the drivetrain loss is well above 20% on a truck like this with the huge tires etc

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Dyno numbers are just a guideline. My pump gas tune on the GTR was never ran on the dyno. Didn't care to know.

Plus a tune is so much more than peak numbers and area under the curve. The benefits go well beyond that.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, agreed. This was just more an exercise in curiosity. It's interesting when someone asks "so, how many horses you got in there?"

I think I'll tell them 440hp and leave it at that. It's maybe a tad optimistic, but not out of the realm of possibility. I was curious since my OBDLink and Dash Command were telling me 510hp, which I knew to be wrong. Just wanted a sense of what could be closer to reality.

jkscuba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are still testing and comparing the intakes. Next step in the process is to Re data log the trucks and see what numbers we come up with. Once this is done we plan to have a comparison chart or release a package with the intake we feel allows the best performance/drivability gains.

-Jeff

Have you had a chance to compare the intakes yet or did I miss the results somewhere in the last few pages?

Tornitron

Reaction score
I installed my SVC tune this evening. I typically don't wax poetically about this sort of thing, but I've been grinning ear to ear ever since driving it.

Below is an e-mail I just sent to Jeff which sums up my impressions:

"Jeff,

I finally installed the tune this evening and drove the truck around for about 25 minutes. I am impressed.
I was initially a bit leery about putting a tune on my Raptor, as it is my daily driver and go-to zombie apocalypse vehicle. After reading so many positive reviews on FRF, I decided to give it a try. I have had tunes on numerous vehicles I've owned over the years which include Porsches, BMWs, Nissans, Fords and more. Some were good, and others were outright terrible like the Spartan tune I had on my 6.4 Powerstroke. The performance improvement with your tune was immediately noticeable on my Raptor, but most importantly the smoothness and refinement of it are excellent. Most tuners will shoot for big numbers, but very few spend the time to really perfect the driveability of the vehicle. The throttle is responsive but not jerky, and the shifting is deliberate yet feels near factory smooth with each gear change. This is the only tune I have experienced that approaches the polish of the custom tune that I have on my Nissan GT-R. That tune was achieved after multiple revisions, data logging on the street and finally dyno testing. Suffice to say, it is clear that SVC spent a great deal of time perfecting the tuning for the Raptor before bringing it to market, and you did a superb job. Thank you."

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I noticed and my previous tune was the same, if you roll on from a dead stop and let the truck shift into 2 then hammer on it, it won't shift back down to first. It will lug through 2nd gear. And maybe it just has to be this way being if it shifted back down to first while rolling it would just be way to harsh on the drivetrain.

Thanks SVC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried explaining this as well, i'm glad i'm not alone. I do have a revised file to load, hopefully it will cure this and be more inline with stock/5star and drop down to 1st in those cases. Should have it loaded tonight and have a review in a few days. Jeff has been a standup guy to work with, hats off for the attention to follow up