The FRF Shock Shootout! All pre event details and discussion here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ether way if you use a bump stop use it on all the tests with all the difrent shocks. a band could be put on the stop.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ICON is totally correct, none of the three has a bump kit to bring to the table even if you wanted to have a full suspension shoot out you could not do it fairly, if you include third party parts.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome see now everyone agrees! Now that we are done :beatdeadhorse5:we can move on lol.. Sorry it took half the thread to get to this conclusion J but it kinda did need to be talked about and discussed. I'm sure J will agree: framebrace/gusset kit with a bump(doesn't matter who's) aired all the way down! Sounds like we are one step closer now!! :big_banana_Dance:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ether way if you use a bump stop use it on all the tests with all the difrent shocks. a band could be put on the stop.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is pretty modd'ed now days, but PM me if you guys want to use it for the shootout. I just want to have everything torqued back correctly when its done.

My trucks a crew cab with 37" tires and deavers, along with top perch

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome see now everyone agrees! Now that we are done :beatdeadhorse5:we can move on lol.. Sorry it took half the thread to get to this conclusion J but it kinda did need to be talked about and discussed. I'm sure J will agree: framebrace/gusset kit with a bump(doesn't matter who's) aired all the way down! Sounds like we are one step closer now!! :big_banana_Dance:

The only part I would consider is that if you air down the bump stop you technically have nothing in regards to a bumpstop....the factory bump stop does do something. A 3.0 shock is sufficient to disperse the necessary energy so that if the factory bump stop is contacted it is only doing its designed job. That is why we built bypass shocks that have multiple zones of compression damping available. The second zone is used to be more aggressive to get the rear end slowed down before making contact with the factory bump so it is only doing the intended function.....

Having a full blown rear leaf and air bump kit in conjunction with a 3.0 shock is meant for a specific purpose. That purpose IMO would be that of serious off road use, and in our perspective a much smaller percentage of the big picture when it comes to Ford Raptor shock sales. Remember this is a "Shock Shootout". We are 100% behind the serious owner and a "Suspension Shootout" that is why we are in development of a full system to bring to the Raptor market.

Again this is about what you want at the end of the day, but our opinion was asked and that is what I am offering. From here it is your show to assemble how you see fit based on the desires of the FRF members interested in the information. We at ICON would ask that how ever the final test be done, that it is made clear the exact set up and the cost of that set up be public knowledge so the owner researching this test understands with out question the results. If the playing field is not 100% level, I would think it will be tough for an individual to make an educated decision as to what would be best for him leaving the "not sure" question still on the table.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks again ICON. I appreciate this sort of discussion BEFORE any tests are run because all this makes for the best test possible. To answer your question specifically:
Going back to the original post.....I am confused as to why the "bump stop" continues to be brought up?
Maxx summarized the reasoning pretty well: we are 100% dependent on a loaner truck to make this happen. If we end up with several trucks to chose from, that's one thing. I however believe we're going to end up with one or two, and I think both will already have a frame support and bump stop solution installed. If I'm right, the question becomes, what to do now?

One choice is to remove the after market bump. I do not like that idea however because as you point out, even the OEM stop does serve a purpose, so to remove all forms of stop is not a good idea. Also, to try and reinstall the OEM bump on a system that already has been set for after market bumps is no good either.

So what we're left with is the second choice; to air down the stop to zero and then there is at least something in the way before metal contact metal, should the truck be cycled hard enough.

Does that make sense? The safety of this loaner truck has got to be the first priority. Setting the after market stop to zero would seem to be the best compromise between no stop at all, and protecting the truck.

On a side note, I have another question for ya ICON: what do you suggest for the customer who wants to buy your shocks, but who also already has an after market bump stop kit and frame reinforcement. What do you suggest they do?

...We at ICON would ask that how ever the final test be done, that it is made clear the exact set up and the cost of that set up be public knowledge so the owner researching this test understands with out question the results.
You have my word. All details have been and will continue to be transparent. The usefulness of a test like this depends on it.

Last edited:

genus727

Reaction score
Where is this shock shootout likely to occur? California (Northern or Southern)? This may help determine who is eligible to donate their test vehicle.

Is there anything in it for the donor other than having his vehicle pounded hard for a few days? I know that I would be happy donating my stock 2010 if I knew I was going to be able to drive home with some of the test-parts on the truck.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where is this shock shootout likely to occur? California (Northern or Southern)? This may help determine who is eligible to donate their test vehicle.

Is there anything in it for the donor other than having his vehicle pounded hard for a few days? I know that I would be happy donating my stock 2010 if I knew I was going to be able to drive home with some of the test-parts on the truck.
For the dirt portion, I'm really leaning toward SoCal.

In terms of what's in it for the donor? To date, nothing. Materialistically speaking, anyway.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks again ICON. I appreciate this sort of discussion BEFORE any tests are run because all this makes for the best test possible. To answer your question specifically:Maxx summarized the reasoning pretty well: we are 100% dependent on a loaner truck to make this happen. If we end up with several trucks to chose from, that's one thing. I however believe we're going to end up with one or two, and I think both will already have a frame support and bump stop solution installed. If I'm right, the question becomes, what to do now?

One choice is to remove the after market bump. I do not like that idea however because as you point out, even the OEM stop does serve a purpose, so to remove all forms of stop is not a good idea. Also, to try and reinstall the OEM bump on a system that already has been set for after market bumps is no good either.

So what we're left with is the second choice; to air down the stop to zero and then there is at least something in the way before metal contact metal, should the truck be cycled hard enough.

Does that make sense? The safety of this loaner truck has got to be the first priority. Setting the after market stop to zero would seem to be the best compromise between no stop at all, and protecting the truck.

I have another question ICON: what do you suggest for the customer who wants to buy your shocks, but who also wants to run an after market bump stop kit with their frame reinforcement kit (as supplied by a different company). Do you have a recommended PSI you tell them to run at?

You have my word. All details have been and will continue to be transparent. The usefulness of a test like this depends on it.

Makes total sense all except for the fact that hitting a hydraulic bumpstop with no nitrogen would be like punching a brick wall with your fist.....There is no protection!!

Unfortunately we (ICON) have done no direct testing with leaf springs or bump stops to this point, so we can not give a recommendation....psi is just one piece of the pie when you talk about proper tuning a bump stop to work in conjunction with a shock. We are very technical over here and do not just wing it, and simply adjusting the psi level is def...well....winging it. You would not get an accurate analogy of our product.

(please understand I am a strait shooter and do not sugar coat anything, not part of my or ICON's game. I hope all information is accepted as an opinion and or our view)

Status
Not open for further replies.