The Fast Lane Truck 2017 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not sure how guys have had the 3.5L with no lag. i owned a 13 FX4 with the 3.5L and it had noticeable lag, nothing major or cause for concern but there was lag. a tune helped but mash the gas and the response wasn't instant. i tried several tunes and the lag was never truely gone or unnoticeable, but that wasn't this engine so comparing the two isn't an apples to apples comparison. i'd be willing to bet JDM or SVC will put out a solid tune that will be well worth it.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this before, but I've driven turbos since my first late 80's Saab.

Back then, cars had turbo lag. I mean, lag that would make people on the sidewalk shake their head in pity. But it was worth it because when it did kick in it was crazy fun. These days, for any halfway sophisticated car, lag is nothing. There's more lag in the transmission than the turbo. In cars with really big turbos, yeah, you'll feel it if you take them to the track, and for sure the clock will show it, but for 99% of anything that matters for anyone, no one will feel it. It's a subtlety not even worth talking about.

Unless of course, you're looking for something more substantial than noise to use as an argument against V6's. If that's your goal then, by all means, bitch about lag.

Last edited:

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could really care less about exhaust note. It's a nice to have yea but doesn't affect performance or deter me from buying one way or the other. But, my experience with lag was with the original 3.5L. I can't comment on the new one bc, well, I haven't driven it...as most haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure how guys have had the 3.5L with no lag. i owned a 13 FX4 with the 3.5L and it had noticeable lag, nothing major or cause for concern but there was lag. a tune helped but mash the gas and the response wasn't instant. i tried several tunes and the lag was never truely gone or unnoticeable, but that wasn't this engine so comparing the two isn't an apples to apples comparison. i'd be willing to bet JDM or SVC will put out a solid tune that will be well worth it.

thats not LAG, that is the dam computer. its amazing how many people are confusing this.

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So lag doesn't exist just a whole bunch of ****** pcms, got it.

mashing the gas and the truck not moving IS NOT TURBO LAG. its the computer "thinking about it"

lag is when you mash the gas, the truck pulls then all the sudden you feel a surge of power.

the ecoboost doesn't have that. if you use the paddle shifters in sport mode and lock it in a gear, mash the gas and it takes off instantly. try it... you may be surprised.

ive been driving my ECOBOOST 3.5 SHO everyday for the past few years.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got ya, so "anti lag" i.e. Baja mode should really be called something else. Unfortunately I've never driven the new one, or one with paddle shifters so I can't comment on those, my experience is with the original. Which for the record I felt was a solid engine.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a good article on turbo lag and boost threshold.

Turbochargers

Got ya, so "anti lag" i.e. Baja mode should really be called something else. Unfortunately I've never driven the new one, or one with paddle shifters so I can't comment on those, my experience is with the original. Which for the record I felt was a solid engine.

It is "anti lag" in that it keeps the turbos spinning to reduce the time it takes to get them up to full tilt.

There is always going to be turbo lag with any turbo charged vehicle. The main point here is I don't think it's going to be noticeable. I'd love to see a boost chart and dyno for the new Raptor. I'm willing to bet these turbos spool incredibly fast since they are making 510ft-lbs at 3500rpm.

Last edited:

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a good article on turbo lag and boost threshold.

Turbochargers

It is "anti lag" in that it keeps the turbos spinning to reduce the time it takes to get them up to full tilt.

There is always going to be turbo lag with any turbo charged vehicle. The main point here is I don't think it's going to be noticeable. I'd love to see a boost chart and dyno for the new Raptor. I'm willing to bet these turbos spool incredibly fast since they are making 510ft-lbs at 3500rpm.

agreed, if you read my earlier post though, while noticeable (at least to me), it was inconsequential. the truck moved well and performed. i personally have no issues with the new platform and am looking forward to seeing it at a run.

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

your f150 didn't have paddle shifters so you wouldn't of been able to do that. all you felt was the pause of the computer... trust me they "think" a lot after you mash the gas.

anti lag keeps the turbo spooled, its a very cool feature but until the new ones are in our hands who knows if its really needed.... have you watched the 0-60 vids? the truck sure seems to spool pretty much instantly...
anti lag creates a TON of heat. im curious how this works out on the truck in long term.