The difference between cool, and not cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate the look but if you held a gun to my head I'd choose to do it on the SCab. I remember a thread of some guy on the other forum who took out his whole back window and put the camper on....it was a big mistake.

OregonSVT

Reaction score
Wow, shocked at all the negative reactions to a top. Obviously most of you live in fair weather and don't have to deal with rain/snow for over 1/2 the year. I know here in the NW there are a lot of trucks with tops on them. I'm pretty sure I will get one to transport the dogs easier and too keep the camping gear dry.

I'm not about ready to let my do run in the ocean, mud, or just in general spread all of his hair around inside the cab. To each his own I guess, I love the looks of the raptor without one, but it is a more functional truck with one, especially with the small bed.

fbmdkgad

Reaction score
For me its kind of the "suburban" color matched vs old "chevy blazer" two tone look. I want to do it right.

I promissed my wife an Irish Wolfhound 140 - 180lbs when when our German Shepard mix decides it's her time. And I'm not about to double tow to haul the dog around when we go camping (Camper + damn near need a horse trailer).

The attached phot'os are not my rig or dog but just to give an idea, our camper is a large pop-up and nothing but gear rides in there while moving. We could go with a smaller breed but Irish Wolfhound has been her dream since she was little.

Attachments

• imagesCAPYS9HF.jpg
    imagesCAPYS9HF.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 98
  • stuff225.jpg
    stuff225.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 54

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Scab vs Screw theroy is correct.

Shell design makes a diff as well.

My Dad's '88 F350 had a motor window going into the back bed from the backseat (awesome btw) and in back my Dad had custom benches and all carpeted so we could play in back with the window up while he and my mom drove up front in peace. haha The shell made the truck what it was.

My Dad did it again on his '97 F350. The '88 model was all red with black trim at first, then a couple years later my dad changed it to black with red trim. It looked great.

The '97 F350 was silver was a black camper shell. We beat the hell out of both trucks up in CO for years both winter and summer. So shellls can hack it.

I'm 50/50 on shells but have no issue with them. I'm kinda excited to have my first truck ever next week (rock on!) and it be F1 Backfliped only.

Later down the road though....I plan to bring back the 80's and make the Tango/Cash camper shell tux black raptor mobile! :peace: The End

OP
OP
DubbsFaris

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon my drunken saturday night response-

but Im a little shocked. Ive seen campers on trucks. Ive got no problem at all with that. Ive seen trailer hitches on cars....no problem with that. But guys, this is a raptor. I could have bought an F150 for 20k less and installed a camper with a flip down 50" TV, in motion satelite, and thrown in a sleep number bed and disco ball if that floated my boat.

but this is a raptor- if I try to do what I do with a hatch on my bed, Ive got a 300 lbs projectile....see video of those lovely torneau covers crashing through back windows for exhibit 1. I have a bed cover, but it is reinforced and wont come off unless the bed is ripped off. I understand the need to keep weather off your gear, and I live in Texas during the biggest drought of our recorded history, not in the northwest where I completely understand the need for cover. The picture is a raptor in my area. We get rain, well, my son turns two next week.....hes seen substantial rain twice in his life.

You carry dogs? Cool, dont want them jumping out I guess. I have kids, but I didnt install booster seats in my sportscar.

To me, its just a shame to see a raptor go out and not be used....but then I was always the kid that opened his star wars toys, even though I was sure they would be valuable one day.

Banned
Reaction score
Shells are removable are they not?

I seem to remember a while ago someone piste pics of their rap with a cap on it, said he removed it when he went out to play, and hen he needed it he used it.

Seems logical to me, no?