Terrible OEM headlight housings - RR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent a message into Raptor Retrofit about refreshing my OEM headlights. They look like snow globes and the light output is awful... This is probably the biggest eyesore on my truck and I want to get it remedied ASAP!
What colors and mods did you guys go with? Any pics?
My truck is white, opinions on upgrades?

1673632639391.jpeg

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Is that caused by something on the exterior or interior of the housing? I refurbished a set on a Honda Accord we used to have with the 3M kit and they came out pretty good. It was a quick job too.

3M Restoration Kit

Attachments

• 20221030_140214_IMG_1222.jpg
    20221030_140214_IMG_1222.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221030_095240_IMG_1221.jpg
    20221030_095240_IMG_1221.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have sort of the same thing going on. Its like in the lens, not on it. sort of like the polishing stuff won't get it off. Not quite as bad as what you got pictured, but getting there.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Is that caused by something on the exterior or interior of the housing? I refurbished a set on a Honda Accord we used to have with the 3M kit and they came out pretty good. It was a quick job too.

3M Restoration Kit

Yeah i do this as part of my job and mine are hopeless:( hard to describe kinda like heat stress i guess.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clear lens will work on any 2009-2014 headlight regardless of projector or halogen. The tough part is getting them off. The OEM housing uses perma-seal and takes multiple rounds in the oven to get it to separate. Put them in the oven at 200 for about 15 min and then start prying them open, just don't leave them in too long or you'll get the snow globe affect (ask me how i know). I've done several retrofits and if you go that route i'd suggest the Morimoto LED projectors over the HID ones. Less wiring and much more reliable. You can also buy OEM replacement projector headlights from OEMassive and replace the halogen projector with the Morimoto LED projector and i can send you an adapter plate if needed. I have a lot of experience with retrofits so if anyone has any questions i'm happy to share my experiences and headaches.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clear lens will work on any 2009-2014 headlight regardless of projector or halogen. The tough part is getting them off. The OEM housing uses perma-seal and takes multiple rounds in the oven to get it to separate. Put them in the oven at 200 for about 15 min and then start prying them open, just don't leave them in too long or you'll get the snow globe affect (ask me how i know). I've done several retrofits and if you go that route i'd suggest the Morimoto LED projectors over the HID ones. Less wiring and much more reliable. You can also buy OEM replacement projector headlights from OEMassive and replace the halogen projector with the Morimoto LED projector and i can send you an adapter plate if needed. I have a lot of experience with retrofits so if anyone has any questions i'm happy to share my experiences and headaches.
So hopefully this is a quick answer . I recently picked up at 2012 with the regular old lights. If I find factory hid lights is it plug and play or do I need to redo the wiring somehow as the new /old factory hid(2014) need more juice?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll likely need 2 ballast and a wire harness for it to be plug and play. Check out The Retrofit Source and look at their kit for 2009-2014 retrofit kit or give them a call and tell them what you're trying to do and they should tell you what you need. Basically you need a ballast connected to the HID bulb and a wire harness a from the ballast to your OEM plug. I know guys have done 2013 OEM HID's in a halogen truck, just not sure exactly what parts they needed.