Tailgate step install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mapleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to add a step to a non step tailgate? Was wondering if the cut out was still there if it isn’t equipped.

Badboy4fun_wa

Reaction score
Only way to add a step is to switch tailgates. Try placing add on FB market place to swap. Every once in a while you find someone who wants to get rid of tailgate step. Best of luck ✌️

Spooky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into this as well, been trying to get a whole tailgate from the dealer, but they're kinda dragging their feet and won't get me a price. Been looking at auto recyclers as well with no luck so far. If anyone here has a way to get all of the part numbers I'll need to put one together, I'd appreciate it.

baja-chris

Reaction score
I did not want the sunroof on my Raptor R which means the tailgate has no step. Stupid of Ford. Anyway will any 21+ F150 tailgate that has step, pushbutton/remote release and camera fit the 23 Raptor R? For general F150, which models had all those features? Like only Lariat and above or ??? I need to shop for a tailgate from a recycler.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, the tailgate step shouldn't be an option, so practical (may,except for some built truck, I know...)
To me , it was necessary to have step, and when you have no moonroof bcs of scab (as mine), it sounds the perfect combo.
Good luck, hope you find solution !
Edit: Hope you make a feedback to say what you have done ??? :hahano:

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to offroad, the step is only added weight and increased stress. I ordred no step on my gen 2 for this reason. Usually when you see the tailgate seperation that bed supports are sold for its the heavier tailgate steps in the durablity trucks.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to offroad, the step is only added weight and increased stress.
I think lots of us have tailgate step and drive off road, we don't talk more problem with this part ?
Perhaps, depend of the type of "offroad driving" we talk, for sure, the tailgate step is not necessary for a hard Baja run !

baja-chris

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd Raptor and have a house in Baja and am involved in off road racing. My Raptors see a TON of off road miles in Baja and the step in the tailgate has never been an issue. Of course the Raptor is not a prerunner and I don't use it as such but it goes to the most remote pits and sees plenty of rough trails both fast and slow.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your going to offroad, the step is only added weight and increased stress. I ordred no step on my gen 2 for this reason. Usually when you see the tailgate seperation that bed supports are sold for its the heavier tailgate steps in the durablity trucks.
The step weighs about 2 pounds! It's not like it's a pool ladder. I can tell you when your knees and hips start to get beat up the step is gold.

I didn't know that they bundled the step with the moonroof with the step now. I ordered mine with no moon and the step. I would think there's a ton of people who would like to do that.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The step weighs about 2 pounds! It's not like it's a pool ladder. I can tell you when your knees and hips start to get beat up the step is gold.

I didn't know that they bundled the step with the moonroof with the step now. I ordered mine with no moon and the step. I would think there's a ton of people who would like to do that.

I think we’re all thinking different things here.

Jen Too: tailgate step was like... $150? manual / mechanical.
Jen Tres, at least ’21 - ’22 - maybe ’23 - Fancy electronic tailgate which was optionally married to the moonroof.

I saw a 24 advertised w/o a moonroof but, apparently had the manual tailgate? did not lay eyes on it, but it said it had the tailgate step.
@24 MY owners: what’s the deal?