Tailgate issues??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mokie

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m having issues with the tailgate not opening slowly anymore. It seems like the assist has gone out or something and I’m not sure how to fix it. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you fix it?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mokie...ive not had this issue, however it looks like it might be an easy fix. SImply replace the tailgate damper, inside the tail light housing.

Here's a youtube video that'll help. Check to make sure that the part fits your VIN.

Reaction score
I didn't watch the video so if they cover this, then ignore it.

When removing the tail light, you will want to keep an eye out for the little plastic tabs (for lack of a better term) that the tail light guide posts slide into. It's very easy for them to come up missing and then one of the 3 posts will have some wiggle/play in it when you put them back in.

It's an easy fix though. Hardest part is getting your tailgate aligned again. Just trial and error. Don't close it too hard the first time and chip the paint on the edges.

OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Every other video I saw kept showing me how to add a tailgate assist to a truck that didn’t have one from the factory.