Tail light foggy near the edge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'd say it's normal but it shouldn't be. Moisture gets in the lens. Changing weather will make it better or worse. Usually after they've been on for a while it'll start to go away from the heat of the bulbs

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has been doing that for 4 years, I notice it more when I'm washing the truck and she's hot from sitting in the sun and I hit with the hose.
There is a very small vent hole at the top of the housing on the back side to allow for heat expansion, just like what you would see on a aircraft window.
So atmospheric changes are going to do that. I'd say it's normal.

Last edited:

ALDABRAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 had similar issues, after an epic battle and many pictures FORD replaced the right rear that had the issue under warranty. Problem resolved, probably had a bad seal around the edge somewhere!

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this normal or should I have it looked at?

Here is the information from the owner's manual, maintenance section, to assist with a warranty claim:

Lamp Assembly Condensation.

Exterior lamps are vented to accommodate normal changes in pressure. Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the interior of the lens. The thin mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation. Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.

Examples of acceptable condensation are:
• Presence of thin mist (no streaks, drip marks or droplets).
• Fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

Examples of unacceptable moisture
(usually caused by a lamp water leak) are:
• Water puddle inside the lamp.
• Large water droplets, drip marks or streaks present on the interior of the lens.

Take your vehicle to a dealer for service if any of the above conditions of unacceptable moisture are present.