GEN 2 Sync Health checks and Automated Fault Resolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OffRoader01

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone from Ford confirm this? I've seen it happen a few times now where the Sync 3 system might be stuck or screen items appear and disappear. Radio goes out for a few hours then comes back.

Seems like there are built in health checks and issue resolution that is automated in the truck. Can anyone confirm this with first hand knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been doing that too. Sat. channels won't change and sometimes black death screen, or just the Raptor logo sitting there. Seems worse when you try to connect to wifi like it askes for but locks up. I just keep putting it off now.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking mine in for TSB trans update next week dealer tells me I have a sync update too. May help you folks having issues with yours. Just take it in

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone from Ford confirm this? I've seen it happen a few times now where the Sync 3 system might be stuck or screen items appear and disappear. Radio goes out for a few hours then comes back.

Seems like there are built in health checks and issue resolution that is automated in the truck. Can anyone confirm this with first hand knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, this is normal. The system is updating. Always happens at the most inopportune time.

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No dealer visit right now, I need it for a road trip south. It's fine as long as don't connect to wifi for updates. Havent activated the wifi yet either, maybe that will help. Not sure about any TSB on the 19's but had my 17 trans update done right after I got it for hard shifting (at times). And when I mean hard shifting I mean bang at times. Got rid of that but did'nt like the overall change it did as well. Maybe later flashes are better but if your not Banging every now and then don't do it.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 802A SCREW Sync 3 was locking up too until I got the dealer to install the Sync version 3.3 update. I had tried to do it myself first via WiFi and then via USB on Ford Owner website. Was taking forever and never completed. Ford Tech Support opened a ticket for the dealer to do it for free. They did the Sync 3.3 update after installing the rear seat belt Recall.

I have not had a Sync problem since that update. The update adds a few new features like Alexa Voice Control for Amazon Music through your Smartphone via Bluetooth.

Aloha, HT

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Seems like there are built in health checks and issue resolution that is automated in the truck. Can anyone confirm this with first hand knowledge?o

I’ve had this happen exactly once. I thought for sure, “oh cr@p... dealer visit”. next day I fired up and everything was normal, never happened again.

If it’s done it more than once, I suggest you get a video of it so you can prove it to the dealer. There are a substantial number of service departments that balk at fixing things without a DTC or Malfunction Indicator Lamp showing. pretty hard to deny a video.

Make sure you show the truck running, you trying to power on the radio, etc.
when mine did it, the issue survived a shut down / restart. I rode home enjoying the sound of the Ecoboost TT.

if it’s only done it once, it may just be a software bug that may not happen again.
I had a previous vehicle that would go for a little over 18 months between some ‘general chassis fault’ MIL; which disables cruise control, etc. it took a couple visits to correct. Gremlins.

good luck.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my Synch 3 locked up the touchscreen would go black and nothing could be done through the touchscreen until putting truck in park and shut down restart. Happened 6 times or so. It was a showstopper on my Raptor. But Sync 3.3 fixed it. Hopefully that slayed the gremlins! No screen problems since except the Ford Alexa Icon disappears and reappears randomly. That could be an Android Alexa / Amazon Music or Bluetooth issue. Troubleshooting these things is like working on a computer.