Swapped to SP542 plugs stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have a stock 2018 w/ 11k miles ordered a set of SP542 plugs from MPT & decided to have them swapped in during an oil change (the second thus far on the truck)- I run only 93 octane, the plugs were gapped however they come out of the box.

Initially I feel like the truck actually started up a lil rough the first time, idled strange, & drove a little funky for like 10 miles or so, but after a couple days I have to say the truck is running more smoothly overall, idles & I do not notice any surging/sputtering during mid-WOT pulls that I felt previously & attributed to knock - I would notice this even more so when the truck was new & I put the only tank of 87 I paid for in it.

One thing that’s tangibly noticeable that I can 10000% say w/ certainty was not happening previously - the tires are chirping/spinning in the first couple gears @ relatively light throttle in sport mode w/ traction control left on. I can honestly say this happened ZERO times previously.

So....for me these plugs are not placebo at all, I could feel/notice a difference across the board.

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting, I have the same issues and was planning on running these plugs. Are you tuned?

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no - like the thread says, I'm all stock

oh my bad, missed that! Ok great, I just ordered them as well to see if it will resolve my similar issues. I ordered the 542s from amazon, but the new part number for that plus 578, so we will see which they send.
Thanks for the info!

Poidog

Reaction score
What is the Gap on your on your 542's? Ford gave me a set gapped at .030 I was looking at other threads and see people running .028 gap. Any input on this?

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I’m not sure my plugs have ever been changed. My 2017 Truck has 23k on it now and I’m running MPT 93 tune. Might have to try these out. MPT is having a sale too.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had installed the cooler plugs before installing the GearHeads tune. I drove it for 3-4 days with the new plugs and they were the only change to the truck with less then 2000 miles on it.

I did notice a difference on the throttle response, not huge but not the same as stock. I also did notice how much easier it seemed to be to break the tire loose and in sport mode a bid difference

Then putting in the GearHeads tune along with their trans tune and it drove like a different truck, no more hard ***** in stock drive mode. It really made the truck feel like it was supposed to be that way, only my opinion and everyone`s truck is not the same.

I am 100% happy with the tune and trans tune from GearHeads. The tune was their Performance and tow, I do not know what they had gapped the plugs to 0.26 to 0.28 but I know I was told by them that they were going to reset the gap before they sent them out. I chose a BDX SCT Programmer and for $575.00 without the plugs I could not be happier with it