Supercharged guys..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We just drove this Raptor, and besides the issue with the belt tension we now firmly believe the reason the belt was skipping off is because of the Roush Tune. The shift points and shift firmness on both up shifts and down shifts are God awful! How can anyone drive a truck like that! The customer complained when he accelerated hard then let out of the throttle just as or before the truck would up shift it would kick the belt. Well when you lift off the pedal before it shifts, then it makes the shift it feels like someone is rear ending the truck! Then you step into the throttle and it down shifts with a bang! We loaded our custom tune into the truck and it drives like a dream now, no more herky jerky shifting just good crisp clean shifts with more Horsepower and throttle response!

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

I didn't notice any modification when the dealer removed it and wouldn't warranty it a second time.

Here's StealthF1 Roush Raptor with the old Tensioner he said Roush sent him a newer Ford OEM version also.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/whipple-vs-roush-14490/index2.html#post391143

When did this new tensioner come out from Ford? This truck is a 2012 and has had the arm replaced twice before. We installed this Thumper to be done with it. We've installed these arms on about 5-10 trucks I would say with ZERO issues. Not to mention the thousands of Mustangs which most are running way more tension, and see way higher blower RPM's than we are running on the Raptors.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

The Ford PN#: AL3Z-68209-A
Description: Tension 412570 4*gc
Unit Price: $127.60

As for Thumper:
This is the Thumper I used and sold to other member.

PN-1002-76

View attachment 58306

View attachment 58305

Unless your timing cover was modified or your timing cover is different then the ones I've seen, there is no way to fit the tensioner picutred on your trucks timing cover (properly). It wouldn't be able to line up with the factory bolt holes with out the notch made to the tensioner like ours.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say he had the newer version tensioner already.

Could a 2010 1/2 have a different cover?

I wish a had taken a picture after it was removed.

And it could be after my battle with Thumper Racing they actually looked into the spring strength.
Just guessing of course, anyway I can't afford to try it again it cost me $2,500 for the two times I had to replace the alternator.
And one alternator was under warranty.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would say he had the newer version tensioner already.

Could a 2010 1/2 have a different cover?

I wish a had taken a picture after it was removed.

And it could be after my battle with Thumper Racing they actually looked into the spring strength.
Just guessing of course, anyway I can't afford to try it again it cost me $2,500 for the two times I had to replace the alternator.
And one alternator was under warranty.

It's possible the 2010 has a different front cover. Come to think of it most of the truck we installed our version of the Thumper Tensioner on 2012-2014 trucks. We have done it on both Whipple and Roush. The Roush has the alternator in a different location but none the less we've never had a problem. I hear you though you can't keep dumping money into a problem that isn't getting fixed!

Nick@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The below video demonstrates what the belt tenisoner is doing while an engine is running and changing RPMs with shifts. Whenever power is applied or cut to the engine is when the tensioner will swing the most. Notice how the tensioner goes nuts when the engine hits the 2 step similar to a rev limiter.

BangShift.com Under Hood Video Of A COPO
BangShift.com Under Hood Video Of A COPO"]tensioner.jpg

Tuning and specifically automatic trans setting play a big role in keeping the belt on these Whipple or Roush Supercharged trucks. Too quick of throttle responce and too firm of shifting can cause belt issues. What happens is when the trans shifts hard or the engine abruptly changes acceleration the supercharger gets out of sync with the crank shaft and causes the belt to pop off or break.

At JDM we tune these trucks to have a perfect balance of performance and drivability whether you are Supercharged or N/A. This will ensure you don't accidentally find yourself in a hairy situation when driving off-road and so your not constantly beating up on all of the power-train components. We are all about good, reliable performance tuning...and not having to worry about feathering the throttle to keep your supercharger belt on...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still can't believe no one has come up with an 8 rib system for our Raptors.
And a Racing Serpentine belt.

The Thumper supports 8 rib, ATI has an 8 rib Balancer, Whipple has most of the idler and SC pulleys.
It just the alternator, power steering and AC pumps that needs converting.

I know Biggest was working on something but he hasn't chimed in the forum in a while.

A Super Duty E class Van with a 6.2L has a 8 rib but not a High Performance Off-Road Truck.
It just boggles my mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP

6.2Canadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using the Roush Belt try a Gates K061247, it is a little bit shorter. Also have you installed the FEAD shield kit yet? We are doing this exact upgrade to a Raptor here in house today. Also swapping over the belt tensioner arm for a solid billet Thumper Tensioner because he bent the stock arm! The owner appears to take it off road, heavy on and off throttle conditions (peadling the throttle) will cause this and usually resort in throwing a belt.

I have that plate installed now and haven't had a problem yet ... And I never actually had a problem throwing belts with the Roush tune only on email tunes... And I've tried a few and you Guys being one of them. Not saying it's a bad tune but I think it's just a Roush "Oops"

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have that plate installed now and haven't had a problem yet ... And I never actually had a problem throwing belts with the Roush tune only on email tunes... And I've tried a few and you Guys being one of them. Not saying it's a bad tune but I think it's just a Roush "Oops"

Give us a call sometime, how long ago was that tune we sent you made? We've had a bunch of changes made over the last year or two that are really impressive. If you have an older file we will update it for you! We had that Hennessy Roush Raptor leave here yesterday totally impressed after loading our basic email tune, no dyno. At first he didn't want to change it because he said he was satisfied with the way it ran and said "well if its not broke don't fit it" We loaded our tune for him to just try and came back 5 minutes later and said he never wanted to go back to the Hennessy tune!

JimIII

OP
OP

6.2Canadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give us a call sometime, how long ago was that tune we sent you made? We've had a bunch of changes made over the last year or two that are really impressive. If you have an older file we will update it for you! We had that Hennessy Roush Raptor leave here yesterday totally impressed after loading our basic email tune, no dyno. At first he didn't want to change it because he said he was satisfied with the way it ran and said "well if its not broke don't fit it" We loaded our tune for him to just try and came back 5 minutes later and said he never wanted to go back to the Hennessy tune!

JimIII

I have had the tune for less than a year.. I liked it but the speed limiter was a little low for me .... And since then I have put a 72mm pulley and a larger heat exchanger on so an updated one wouldn't work I guess.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have had the tune for less than a year.. I liked it but the speed limiter was a little low for me .... And since then I have put a 72mm pulley and a larger heat exchanger on so an updated one wouldn't work I guess.

The pulley and Heat exchanger are really not going to require any tuning adjustments. Maybe just bringing the timing down a tick (-1 -2* at WOT) but depends on how aggressive it is now. Since the PCM on all late model Fords is Load Based you can add or take out boost and the fuel curve will not be affected. As long as your supporting components are big enough to handle and extra power. When you add Load (Boost) the timing tables will step down to a lower spark table and the fuel tables will step up to send more fuel. As long as your fuel pump and injectors can support the demand your fuel curve will not change. Also these trucks run 02 Wideband sensors and Knock in the exhaust so you have built in safe gaurds to help!

The Heat Exchanger is just keeping cooler air intake temps = more consistency in your Horespower, when heat soak sets in you lose power. Bigger Heat exchanger = less heat soak, less power loss.

Now if the speed limiter is your concern we usually set it to 130 or 140mph, we can raise it but I never recommend surpassing 140 as the drive line is not designed for it nor are the tires. A better driveshaft and some high speed rated tires are going to keep you safe if you like top end speed.

Offer still stands, we will send you an update if you like!

JimIII