Supercharged guys..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.2Canadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just threw on a 72mm sc pulley and a larger heat exchanger with a Stanghi tune on the truck (amazing tune btw) but I am getting belt slip though... I have a 90mm idler pulley but don't know which to replace it with... I have tried a couple spots but the valve cover is in the way and the other it rubs the crank... anyone have the 90mm installed ?

Thanks

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since no Roush guys are helping, you have two options shorter belt or larger idler pulley.
Did you get a shorter belt?
If not, I wish I could tell you which idler pulley you need to replace on a Roush.
On a Whipple the adjusting idler is the one you swap out.

The belt tensioner needs to be almost touching the harmonic balancer.

Last edited:
OP
OP

6.2Canadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since no Roush guys are helping, you have two options shorter belt or larger idler pulley.
Did you get a shorter belt?
If not, I wish I could tell you which idler pulley you need to replace on a Roush.
On a Whipple the adjusting idler is the one you swap out.

The belt tensioner needs to be almost touching the harmonic balancer.

Ya I have a 90mm pulley but tried installing it under the charger pulley but seemed way way to tight but maybe I'll have to give it a spin.. Thanks

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are using the Roush Belt try a Gates K061247, it is a little bit shorter. Also have you installed the FEAD shield kit yet? We are doing this exact upgrade to a Raptor here in house today. Also swapping over the belt tensioner arm for a solid billet Thumper Tensioner because he bent the stock arm! The owner appears to take it off road, heavy on and off throttle conditions (peadling the throttle) will cause this and usually resort in throwing a belt.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here are pics of the FEAD Belt Shield installed. Honestly it just looks like its going to keep the belt from completely jumping off. It does not create any more tension. The Thumper tensioner we installed has a stiffer spring which will create more tension and the Shorter K061247 belt fits on tighter. We are still running a 75mm pulley on this truck however so the 72mm is going to be a little bit looser than what we are seeing. We would still like to get the tension a little bit tighter so we are looking at clocking the spring in the tensioner arm to add a little more tension.

Attachments

• IMG_7032.jpg
    IMG_7032.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_7033.jpg
    IMG_7033.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7027.jpg
    IMG_7027.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 217

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be aware Jim111, I went through two alternators in less than 500 miles on my Whippled Raptor with the Thumper Racing Tensioner.
The spring tension on the Thumper is just to hard for a SC application well at least in my case. It ate out the back alternator bearing.
At least you don't have to remove the compressor to swap out the alternator.

Getting the newer version of the Ford OEM Tensioner works like a charm.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Be aware Jim111, I went through two alternators in less than 500 miles on my Whippled Raptor with the Thumper Racing Tensioner.
The spring tension on the Thumper is just to hard for a SC application well at least in my case. It ate out the back alternator bearing.
At least you don't have to remove the compressor to swap out the alternator.

Getting the newer version of the Ford OEM Tensioner works like a charm.

We have quiet a few trucks running the Thumper tensioner. This is the first I've heard of an issue with the charging system being effected by adding more belt tension? These are Mustang 3V Supercharged Tensioners that we modify to fit the Raptor, I was unaware Thumper even offered a Raptor version. If there was an alignment issue causing the tensioner to put a side load on the Alternator pulley then I could see bearing issues. Maybe the spacing is off on the Raptor style Thumper tensioner??

What is the new Ford Tensioner, part #? Pictures?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Ford PN#: AL3Z-68209-A
Description: Tension 412570 4*gc
Unit Price: $127.60

As for Thumper:
This is the Thumper I used and sold to other member.

PN-1002-76

2013-02-06_15-46-11_240 modified.jpg

PM-1002-76L.jpg

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That looks just like a 3V tensioner that we are using but we have to notch the corner near the bolt hole. This is for clearance on the front cover. Did you have an issue with this during install? Did the tensioner you have clear okay?

Attachments

• IMG_7046.jpg
    IMG_7046.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 104

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir