Studded Snow tires on Raptor 17 inch rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountain Man

Reaction score
For snow and ice, a tire that is skinnier than stock would be better ie. Less than a 315. You want to be able to get to the bottom of the snow, not float on it like you would with sand. On a previous F-150 I ran Yokohama Geolanders with excellent experience in the snow. I was a first responder at the time and usually got there first.

Kevin Stinson

Reaction score
I had studded Nokian LT3 (LT315/70R17) on my Raptor during the past winter. They are the best tires I have used on icy roads. They may not be as good as Duratracs in deep snow but they are significantly better on ice.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not even sure why I read this post. I live in Texas.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Toyo Open Country M/T in 35x12.50r17 (10-ply) that I had drilled an pinned for studs and then siped.
I have run other studded tires for years on my Jeeps and Bronco and the Toyo's were about the best overall, and a mud tire to top it off. They do great in deep snow (both wet heavy snow and the light fluff) and do very well in ice with the studs and siping. I have them mounted on a second set of OE non-beadlock wheels that match my summer OE wheels (currently still have the OE BFG KO2s for spring-summer, which are crap in comparison to a mud tire for off-roading-just couldn't see giving away $1500 worth of tires though).
I can snap a pic if you want, they are in the shed for the season.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone out in Raptor land mounted Snow tires on 17 inch Raptor rims?? If so what size and what brand? I understand that Nokian LT3's are made in 17 inch and at least one person has mounted them!
Help Please!

I am running the Nokians WITHOUT studs (long story short I ordered them studded & it said so on the order AND on the tires but Simple Tire said "we don't sell studded tires" - what I THINK happened is I'm pretty damn sure someone ordered the same tires to a state that doesn't allow studs & either cancelled or returned the tires & then rerouted to me) - on factory 17" wheels (non-beadlocks, I have 2 sets of 17"s the beadlocks came w/ my truck & I bought a set from a forum member) - I LOVE these tires in the snow/cold/ice WAY WAY WAY better than KO2s & obviously going to be better than ANY other non-snow tire. DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS The KO2s get a "snowflake" symbol too like some other AT's (duratracs) - but they're still quite literally compromised by definition "all terrain" doesn't denote "snow/ice & winter weather specific" does it? If your plan is to run 1 set of tires year round & live in a climate like I do in Northeast - long COLD winters w/ combo of wet heavy snow/sleet & freezing temps/ice then duratrac probably a good bet but you gonna add & remove studs every year? Nah.

I had studded blizzaks on my last GMC truck also 4x4 & had non-studded snows on other trucks, once you experience how much more grip & especially confidence in general you get when running dedicated snow tires on a 4x4 truck you'll look at every other dude who says "you don't need snow tires when ya got 4 wheel drive" like a complete moron, sure you don't NEED em, you don't NEED DRs/Slicks to win a drag race either @ the track - but sure as shit improved your chances of success when you have the right tire for the job no?

Lastly....I was initially pissed @ simple tire's mistake, but after having them on the Raptor for a season I am OK giving up a lil bit of that "extreme" added traction the studs provide since 80% of the time they're not needed in MA & can be detrimental running em in certain conditions if it warms up randomly mid-winter and just the fact that even re-positioning my truck in the driveway was gouging up the concrete w/ the studs (when it wasn't covered in ice anyhow lol) Even in the scenario as you described I'm pretty confident the Raptor could handle no prob w/ the nokians & no studs - I pulled my cousin's 2 WD chevy up a very steep long winding driveway w/ ice during a ski trip, studs wouldve helped for sure but I got it done. That being said...I'd probably get em studded too if I were you.

The Raptor's handling/grip/performance is night & day on road in winter w/ these Nokians - offroad obviously they're not really geared for serious offroading but they're definitely not a "performance" street car type snow tire either - I didn't have issues on muddy rutted ME logging roads or driving on beach in winter w/ them (didn't air down either)