Stolen raptor tailgate/broke masterlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fish27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the gate keeper idea, but here's my solution to little punks
veba9e3u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Video are only a deterent if the would be thief knows it's there. Also, it seems llike video quality to be crap on the majority of the security cameras I have seenout there, but they're getting better & prices are now reasonable. Fish27 your camera pic looks good, but I would adjust the camera to the right since the majority of the low lifes are going to enter on the drivers side.

fish27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, normally it's parked in the center so there's a good view from either side and on the inside. The quality is pretty good and can't complain since I got them free for work. Surprisingly the night vision is just as clear. At least if I don't see it I got evidence to show my buddies at the sheriffs department to catch the little *****. She's not the reason why I have them in the first place but I like the peace of mind that's she's always being watches at home.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My insurance said any f150 with camera and step are ideal targets.

Man step. 1400
Camera. 400
Tailgate. 700
Misc brackets 500
Paint 600
Emblems. 200
Handle with lock. 300

Estimate. 4100

Wow! Painting a tailgate costs almost as much as the tailgate itself. Damn. Sometimes capitalizism sucks...

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have any of you removed a tailgate, particularly a tailgate from a truck with the 801A and a step, which are the most valuable? They are heavy. What is more is there is no play, so in order for someone to bypass the tail gate keeper, they are going to have to remove it. Now you might say, well, that doesn't take long, and you would be correct. However, any antitheft device is designed to slow a low life thief down, and to keep the honest, honest. A professional that really wants something will figure out how to take the tail gate, no matter how many security devices that you have.

Perfectly said here which is why I didn't buy into the hype of a "cool feature to have" ! Everywhere I go, I'm 50ft away from my truck or it's in a garage at whichever house I'm at. With that being said. Maybe mount a rear camera facing the tailgate from inside the truck. Insurance will pay for the gate, I just want to press felony charges on the one that'll waste my time if it was me!

fish27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfectly said here which is why I didn't buy into the hype of a "cool feature to have" ! Everywhere I go, I'm 50ft away from my truck or it's in a garage at whichever house I'm at. With that being said. Maybe mount a rear camera facing the tailgate from inside the truck. Insurance will pay for the gate, I just want to press felony charges on the one that'll waste my time if it was me!

Exactly, can't stop a thief everytime, but if I can make sure they are punished for their crime. Well than at least that will put a smile on my face

victorsam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that this will only be a deterrent, but I am having some bolts made that will replace the attachment bolt for the tailgate cable at the bedrail. The new bolts will be 1/4 inch longer. That way you can remove the taillight and put a jam nut on the bolt.

Where the cable clips onto the bolt, I am either having new cables made that will only have a hole for the new bolt to go through, or I am going to weld a small piece of metal on the cable end so that it cannot be removed from the bolt. Additionally I will put a longer bolt at the attachment on the tailgate fitted with a jam nut.

The short version is that the clip end of the cable will not be able to be removed from the bed's vertical attachment point. Sure someone can bring wrenches and take out the taillight, remove the bolt and detach the cable that way.

Road Kill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading all the good responses, looks like any device could eventually be defeated. So I think any additional measure to keep thieves honest is worth the effort. I went with the Gate Keeper and color matched it with DuPont (on the right next to my DeeZee Tailgate Assist).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 42

JayneCobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If some one wants it bad enough they will get it. All we can do is make it as difficult as possible for them to get, making it not worth the effort. $12, $25 of added difficulty could save you $4100 for your next upgrade.

I spent 60,000 on my truck, I think an extra $25 for a tailgate lock is worth it.