Steering Stablizer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrpositraction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And how do you suppose a steering stabilizer (shock) is going to cure this? A shock only dissipates energy, it isn't going to force the truck to drive straight.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. Yep I have tried everything. Tire pressures are all correct, and even. Had my alignment checked, and had the shop foreman drive the truck and he agrees it is wanting to dive to the right. And here is NY, there is a slight crown in the road as well, so thats what I originally thought that was the issue, since everything tends to pull to the right. But, like I said, I threw my stocks back on and the pull was much less, if not completely gone. After research lots of people have the same issue with the Toyo M/T's and they are referring to it as "Radial Pull" due to the tread being so aggresseive. I am hoping that the issue gets better once I get more miles on the tires, but it is very annoying. I literally have to keep my hand on the wheel at all times to keep the truck from going right.

The reason you have this pull to one side only is road crown. Find a road that has a high crown to the left and see if it pulls to the left... If it does not pull left someone is not being totally honest with you about your specs... Did the place that did your alignment give you a printout?

You can compensate it with tire pressure. Raise the side that pulls till the pull is gone as long as you are not way over inflated you will be ok. You dont want to be +10 more on one side than the other... But if you can get the change with 4 or 5 psi do it... Sure you are going to get some extra wear but rotate them more frequently...

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a buddy complain about the same thing when running MTR's from my truck on his JK.

The wheels on my truck ran perfectly straight/true. Put them on his JK and they started to pull to the right.

Put his stock wheels/tires on, straight as an arrow.

We do have a crown on our roads here as well. Dont think he ever sorted that one out.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because... don't know if anyone else here that has Toyo M/T's is experiencing what I am, a pull to the right. After some research it seems it is a common issue with the Toyo's due to their aggressive tread. I had my alignment checked and everything is good, and even put my stock wheels and tires back on. No pull with the stocks. I also rotated the Toyo's around, but made no difference. A lot of people run steering stabilizers to offset the pull, not on Raptors, but in general. Now, I realize I can get have my camber/caster adjusted to compensate for the pull, but then onec the stocks go back on in the winter months it's going to pull left, so that is out of the question. I also read that this pull tends to get better or even disappear after a few thousand miles. Hopefully this is true. I only have a little over a thousand miles on them now. Will have to wait and see i guess.

Just run stocks on one side and Toyos on the other side, like a tank track.
smileytank.gif

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because... don't know if anyone else here that has Toyo M/T's is experiencing what I am, a pull to the right.

Get a piece of rope and tie it to your steering wheel and your shift lever. You can tie it to the top of the wheel or the bottom depending on which way the front end is pulling.

Seriously - this makes as much sense as using a "steering stabilizer" to do that. :roflsquared:

wiz1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing you might want to check is the lock out...
If the right lock out is not disengaging it will create more rolling resistance on that side and cause the truck to pull.
Jack both front wheels up, start the truck and spin the wheels by hand. They should both have the same resistance in them. If one is harder to spin than the other you know you have a problem....Could be a barring or a dragging brake also..
The truck has to be running to get the lock outs pulled off..
Good luck.
The stabilizer will not help with a pull as already stated..
O and I have Toyo's with zero issues...

OP
OP
banman12

banman12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing you might want to check is the lock out...
If the right lock out is not disengaging it will create more rolling resistance on that side and cause the truck to pull.
Jack both front wheels up, start the truck and spin the wheels by hand. They should both have the same resistance in them. If one is harder to spin than the other you know you have a problem....Could be a barring or a dragging brake also..
The truck has to be running to get the lock outs pulled off..
Good luck.
The stabilizer will not help with a pull as already stated..
O and I have Toyo's with zero issues...

I sure as hell hope it wouldnt be that. The truck only has 1600 miles on it. And I was doing research on the issue and many were saying they run steering stabs and it helps with the pull. Not entirely sure, was just looking for some input I guess. The truck is back at the shop, being covered under warranty :) I gave the shop foreman some specific specs I would like for my alignment. Pretty sure they just checked toe last time.

Left Caster: 4.0* Right Caster: 4.3*
Left Camber: -.30* Right Camber: -.30*
Left Toe: .20* Right Toe: .20*

I am hoping this will help with the pulling, I will get printouts too and see what the final result is. Like I said previously, all the pressures are correct, tried rotating the tires around, no difference. When I am driving down the road I literally have to hold my wheel and it is noticeably offset to the left just for the truck to drive straight. Keeping my fingers crossed this gets resolved.