Startup thrashing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
This is a different sound than the wastegate rattle correct? I remember reading about that one and seeing some videos. Getting my truck soon so wanna be able to look out for all possible issues

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This may have been addressed already but when I start my cold truck up, I hear 3-5 seconds of thrashing from the engine that sounds like cam chain lash...

Anyone else having this sound and know what it is?

Like Chi suggests, get some video/audio on cold start up and I would take it to a dealer and see if this is serious or just waste gate rattle. Don’t press the panic button just yet.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sasquatach77 one thing for sure is you are not in industry top job for sure. You are the person in the back when the machine breaks down yelling at the real men who are troubleshooting the issues to find the cause and fix it, while you are saying I told them it would break. You the Sasquatach77! Go man go! The other thread was a a oil flow issue that caused the motor and cam phasers to fail. You may want to read a little before you pony up to your keyboard!

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Sasquatach77 one thing for sure is you are not in industry top job for sure. You are the person in the back when the machine breaks down yelling at the real men who are troubleshooting the issues to find the cause and fix it, while you are saying I told them it would break. You the Sasquatach77! Go man go! The other thread was a a oil flow issue that caused the motor and cam phasers to fail. You may want to read a little before you pony up to your keyboard!

Do your 3.5 ecoboost research. Cam phaser rattle has been a large problem on them.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all caused from water contamination in the oil that got ingested thru the engine because you didnt have a weep hole drained in your intercooler. So downstream effect is this. You can solve this by drilling a weep hole in your oil pan. You have to use a tiny drill bit for it tho: .00562" diameter. The bit is a special order item, but its the only size that will allow water to seep out while still retaining the oil. This is because of the viscosity of the oil makes it such that it is too thick to drain from the hole. Be extra careful tho to not get dyslexic and order the .00652" bit- that one is big enough to allow debris into the oil and can contaminate the entire engine.

*Pro tip: If you don't want to drill your oil pan, you can just drill the hole in your oil filter. This way it is easier to put it back to stock for when you take it in for service.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
This is all caused from water contamination in the oil that got ingested thru the engine because you didnt have a weep hole drained in your intercooler. So downstream effect is this. You can solve this by drilling a weep hole in your oil pan. You have to use a tiny drill bit for it tho: .00562" diameter. The bit is a special order item, but its the only size that will allow water to seep out while still retaining the oil. This is because of the viscosity of the oil makes it such that it is too thick to drain from the hole. Be extra careful tho to not get dyslexic and order the .00652" bit- that one is big enough to allow debris into the oil and can contaminate the entire engine.

*Pro tip: If you don't want to drill your oil pan, you can just drill the hole in your oil filter. This way it is easier to put it back to stock for when you take it in for service.

Might be easier if you put a hole in your head.