Startup thrashing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may have been addressed already but when I start my cold truck up, I hear 3-5 seconds of thrashing from the engine that sounds like cam chain lash...

Anyone else having this sound and know what it is?

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
This may have been addressed already but when I start my cold truck up, I hear 3-5 seconds of thrashing from the engine that sounds like cam chain lash...

Anyone else having this sound and know what it is?

This is a cam phaser failure. The cold start rattle is due to impeded oil flow paths that feed the cam phasers. On cold start, the lack of oil causes them to rattle. As they rattle, they destroy themselves. When the phasers are destroying themselves, the timing chain gets stretched.

srt10viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a cam phaser failure. The cold start rattle is due to impeded oil flow paths that feed the cam phasers. On cold start, the lack of oil causes them to rattle. As they rattle, they destroy themselves. When the phasers are destroying themselves, the timing chain gets stretched.

Thanks I was wondering what the hell the noise was too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
TSB....lol Just make sure you have warranty, extended or factory. There was a thread recently from a member that had cam phasers replaced at 7000 miles on a brand new truck.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB....lol Just make sure you have warranty, extended or factory. There was a thread recently from a member that had cam phasers replaced at 7000 miles on a brand new truck.

Not just that he is getting a completely new engine.