Startup thrashing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
You are trying to derail this whole thread dude. Par for you though.

Here, lets put some facts out there.

https://youtu.be/tkScQN7fxGg

This video discusses the differences in the new 3.5L ecoboost. Direct from Jim Mazuchowski- Ford's V6 engine manager. Pretty sure he knows more about these than anyone else on this site, or any other really. The video is 9+ minutes long, but the second half of it is about the 10 speed transmission. You only have to watch about the first 2 minutes to hear that this whole engine is completely different from the past generation ecoboosts. Your arguments are all based on the first gen ecoboost's problems, so stop trying to imply they are relevant here. They are not.

And tying back to the original intent of this thread, the cam drive system has been redone on this new ecoboost, so any problems the previous gen ecoboost had due to that old system is not a carry over here to this current platform.

Completely wrong. Ford is using the same cam phasers that have been failing in the previous years. Why do the cam phasers fail? Lack of oil... that is the cold start rattle since they don't get oil quick enough. Why don't they get oil quick enough? The oil passages to them get blocked by casting debris / out of spec paths. This has been a manufacturing issue for a while and it has not been designed out.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely wrong. Ford is using the same cam phasers that have been failing in the previous years. Why do the cam phasers fail? Lack of oil... that is the cold start rattle since they don't get oil quick enough. Why don't they get oil quick enough? The oil passages to them get blocked by casting debris / out of spec paths. This has been a manufacturing issue for a while and it has not been designed out.

Ok dude, whatever. You win. Guess you know more about Ford's engines than their own engine manager. Perhaps you should go work for them and they can fire the imbeciles there now who didn't put a boost leak, I mean "weep hole" in the intercooler from the factory.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Name 1 occurrence of ANYONE having a warranty denied for the weep hole in the intercooler.

What proof do you need that shows the weep hole in the intercooler corrects the condensate problem? I have shown you the forum stickies with loads of proof.

Confirmed with my local dealer - service advisor --and-- mechanic; drill the weep hole, lose the warranty on the CAC, and, if anything else is even suspected as related, that too. Any questions?

Now, stop posting internet postings with zero actual data in them as ‘proof’. Internet postings here by me, or any other poster on FRF are exactly that - internet postings. Unless you have corroborated, documented evidence, you’re lying to everyone here. Evidence is not internet posts, it’s more. Evidence would be ford acknowledging in a repair order, build up in the CAC, and some remediation attempt. THEN, if that remediation failed and someone with proof of the problem before, proof of drilling the CAC, and subsequent short and long term testing showing the problem as resolved, then you would have ( a statistically insignificant ) sample of a hypothetical work around.

Evidence has yet to be introduced showing the problem you assume is one thing, but isn’t.

Get that pshychiatric help before you harm yourself or someone else.

OP
OP
D

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed with my local dealer - service advisor --and-- mechanic; drill the weep hole, lose the warranty on the CAC, and, if anything else is even suspected as related, that too. Any questions?

Now, stop posting internet postings with zero actual data in them as ‘proof’. Internet postings here by me, or any other poster on FRF are exactly that - internet postings. Unless you have corroborated, documented evidence, you’re lying to everyone here. Evidence is not internet posts, it’s more. Evidence would be ford acknowledging in a repair order, build up in the CAC, and some remediation attempt. THEN, if that remediation failed and someone with proof of the problem before, proof of drilling the CAC, and subsequent short and long term testing showing the problem as resolved, then you would have ( a statistically insignificant ) sample of a hypothetical work around.

Evidence has yet to be introduced showing the problem you assume is one thing, but isn’t.

I've asked for the same statistical data... *crickets*

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score

Ford knows there was a condensate buildup issue in the intercooler. This was why they realeased a boatload of TSBs for it which included adding block off plates and de-tuning the engine. The government investigated them for this issue and they ultimately came up with the active shutter system which still doesn't totally work.

The weep hole has NEVER voided a warranty. EVER. Find me an owner where it happened.

More proof and great reading about the many years behind the weep hole:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-55-60mph-5-0-shuddering-ecoboost-engine-miss-loss-power-possible-fixes-128636/

the pee hole in my cac.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Ford knows there was a condensate buildup issue in the intercooler. This was why they realeased a boatload of TSBs for it which included adding block off plates and de-tuning the engine. The government investigated them for this issue and they ultimately came up with the active shutter system which still doesn't totally work.

The weep hole has NEVER voided a warranty. EVER. Find me an owner where it happened.

More proof and great reading about the many years behind the weep hole:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-55-60mph-5-0-shuddering-ecoboost-engine-miss-loss-power-possible-fixes-128636/

the pee hole in my cac.

And again with the misleading information. As previously stated, confirmed with local mechanic and service advisor - you drill the CAC, you lose the warranty on at least the intercooler and potentially more.

Think before you follow this fool’s suggestions. He/she wants you to screw up your truck because that’s what trolls do.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
And again with the misleading information. As previously stated, confirmed with local mechanic and service advisor - you drill the CAC, you lose the warranty on at least the intercooler and potentially more.

Think before you follow this fool’s suggestions. He/she wants you to screw up your truck because that’s what trolls do.

Show me where ANYONE lost a warranty for the weep hole in the intercooler. I have provided the links with YEARS of doing this and NEVER had the warranty denied. NEVER. Think before you post.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Show me where ANYONE lost a warranty for the weep hole in the intercooler. I have provided the links with YEARS of doing this and NEVER had the warranty denied. NEVER. Think before you post.

Strawman.

People who tend to do this are all on pre-2015 trucks, and hence, warranty is not of concern to these people.

I am not the one making wild proclamations and feeding FRF readers a ration of ******** like you are. You have been repeatedly shown as a lying fraudster, snake oil salesman, troll for your kooky mistreatment of internet postings - rather, the selected internet postings you choose to believe.

You’re unable to prove this fantasy because there are no facts to back up your crazy suggestion to drill out the CAC on a perfectly running truck. And for the absolute few who show some similar symptoms to the old trucks, you have made a critically bad assumption that because of c, then ch (as in the spanish letter) but the 2 variables are completely unrelated; and the 2 generations of trucks are separated by almost half a decade of development beyond the trucks you are wrongly citing as data, facts or proof.

Proof and evidence are far beyond your understanding.

Again, anyone thinking of drilling the intercooler, check with your dealers and see what their opinion is before you do something like this.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Lying? Follow the links and you will see how far back people were doing this.... IN WARRANTY. This is an acceptable way to remediate the problem and all was well. Do. Your. Research.