GEN 2 Startup Rattle and Front Hub Grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
Is this guy posting bogus information?

I am not posting bogus info - this is legitimate information. There is a very proud group here that thinks their gen2 trucks have no problems. I am just providing help for you to get through your issues.

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not posting bogus info - this is legitimate information. There is a very proud group here that thinks their gen2 trucks have no problems. I am just providing help for you to get through your issues.

Everything has its problems. Get a life, ***king idiot.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time posting, so to start, thanks for having me apart of the forums.

My 2017 Raptor is about 1 yr old, 7000 miles, and just went to the dealer for two issues that I just could sit on any longer.

1) Engine Rattle on Startup (best way I can desribe it).
- I understand this may be the timing chain
- Sounds horrible when your outside for remote start; lasts about 2-3 seconds.

2) Front hub grinding while in 2 wheel drive.
- Happens at low to medium speed
- Sounds and feels (via feedback through the accelerator) like grinding from one of the front hubs

My personal mechanic replaced the vacuume solenoid - but it did nothing. So I finally took it in to Ford...

3 days at the dealer with no resolutions. They cannot replicate the issue, so they have taken no action other then the below:

- The startup rattle they advise as normal. All Raptors they have seen have it, or so they claim.
- The are going to grease the hubs tomorrow and give it back.
- After 2 days driving it, the dealer just says they don't see/hear the issue.
I explained to the dealer this was likely, as I only see it after 20 minutes of driving usually.
- I'm asking them to verify the vacuum system has no leaks. The mechanic I'm working with informed he would confirmed, but I'm not filled with confidence they are doing the right thing.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm at a loss at this point. What do I do next? 3 days at the dealer, without the truck and no resolution. I'm sure I'll get it back and hear the same problems.

Check my video here - is this your rattle while driving? If so, look at my other posts in that thread - I never got a part number, but they named it - they pulled a part from a truck on the lot

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/raptor-rattling-riddle-experts-wanted-54408/

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The timing chain was never the root of the problem. Once the cam phasers rattled and broke, the result was a stretched chain. And, no, the problem was never corrected. Ford has redesigned cam phasers at least twice before and they have a "new" version coming soon to address the latest issues.

This would be in... what, the 2017.5 2nd Raptor power plant that has yet to materialize?

Rumor and innuendo are just as bad as #fakenews and there’s been a bunch of it thrown about. The real problem here is not with cam phasers, it’s with people who shout “it’s the vct cam phasers” over the internet without even hearing, seeing or observing the problem.

How many of these have infected the Raptor and been proven? now, how many have been replaced because the dealer techs didn’t understand the actual problem?

let’s talk actual, verifiable proof. Not links to internet forum discussions, real evidence.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This would be in... what, the 2017.5 2nd Raptor power plant that has yet to materialize?

Rumor and innuendo are just as bad as #fakenews and there’s been a bunch of it thrown about. The real problem here is not with cam phasers, it’s with people who shout “it’s the vct cam phasers” over the internet without even hearing, seeing or observing the problem.

How many of these have infected the Raptor and been proven? now, how many have been replaced because the dealer techs didn’t understand the actual problem?

let’s talk actual, verifiable proof. Not links to internet forum discussions, real evidence.

I know for certain 3 instances of Gen 2 raptors having full cam phaser replacements and other engine work - maybe five. According to Ford Parts, there is a new cam sprocket being released at the end of this month.

Now, whether these issues would have actually become a problem or it if is just everyone being paranoid, I don't know. However, Ford has signed off on the warranty work in all three cases, and they are harder to convince than a dealership.