GEN 2 Startup Rattle and Front Hub Grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread, pretty sure this is the same issue I am having. Loud rattle noise start up when engine is cold. Getting worse. Today it was really loud and it died about 10 times before it would stay running.

How many miles on your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer diagnosis on my 18 Raptor: the loud noise it the timing belt tensioner. Not quite open heart surgery, but close was his words. Parts are back ordered until at least 9/4. Safe to continue driving unless it gets worse. They have fixed this on numerous 18 F150s and Navigators with the 3.5L Eco engine. 1-2 weeks repair time, and they will give me a loaner. Estimated repair cost is $4000 but it's all under warranty. Glad I never tuned it, would be easy to deny my claim.

Frypie

Reaction score
Mine has been in the shop since Monday. Bad rattle at start up. I had to wait until Ford sent the new updated parts. It was the cam phasers. They verified they were bad. I'm getting it back tomorrow.

cwylie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the replacement part numbers from the warranty invoice?

CamPhaser

Reaction score
First post. Thought I'd leave it here since this thread helped diagnose my issue. Disclaimer, I'm not very mechanically inclined so most of this is regurgitation from the Ford technician or service manager.

1. I was getting the rattle at cold start. The rattle lasted a few seconds then went away.

2. On a 100 mile drive the check engine light came on. I pulled over 3-4 times due to a strange grinding sound that would come and go from the front driver's side as far as I could tell but didn't notice anything obvious. I took it in to the dealer. They had it for 4 days troubleshooting. Eventually the replace a solenoid (controlled oil flow). That fixed the issue for about a month.

3. Then the check engine light came back but no noticeable rattle or grinding this time. Dealer pulled codes and it was related timing issue. I explained my concern after reading this thread but it was dismissed since the light went off by the time they were able to schedule me....Diagnostics didn't warrant pulling the engine cover.

4. This happened one more time

It's at the dealer for the 3rd time in 3 months. I asked them to check the following based on some "research" here:
  • VCT Cam Phaser
  • Engine Timing Chain cover/ tension
  • PCM/TCM software updates
They have determined that the VCT Phaser has failed. They're pulling the valve cover tomorrow to check the screens for debris.

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
Didn't know it's called a clunk. That noise started on my 2018 at 12,000 miles. Dealer couldn't find it but promised to keep looking. I spoke with my dealer sales manager since I upgrade every two years and told him was not happy with a Ford "lemon rattle box", so he swapped it out for a 2019 (same Oxford white) and some $$$ change. Fair deal but it still cost me. New one is nice and smooth. Hope that clink does not follow me!

There is also another thread on here - "clunk:" issues seems to overlap