GEN 2 Startup Rattle and Front Hub Grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nelsonm6

Reaction score
My 2017 is at Ford right now for the same thing. Early indication is IWE, but I will let you know, once they are able to confirm.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I know for certain 3 instances of Gen 2 raptors having full cam phaser replacements and other engine work - maybe five. According to Ford Parts, there is a new cam sprocket being released at the end of this month.

Now, whether these issues would have actually become a problem or it if is just everyone being paranoid, I don't know. However, Ford has signed off on the warranty work in all three cases, and they are harder to convince than a dealership.

Ok, let’s drill down into this further. “you know for certain of 3 instances...”

cam phaser replacement -and other engine work-.

Do you know if the cam phasers were failed, and replaced because they failed, OR was it a repair based on a hunch and process of elimination troubleshooting?

What other engine work?
Did something let go and cause or contribute to the cam phasers dying?
How do you know of these other cases? first hand- you personally know the owners, have spoken to the mechanics, researched and have data?
2nd hand - you were told by a single or multiple sources
if 2nd hand, did you verify the information independently?
Were these trucks built within a common time period? Before or after prod went south of the border?
was there a common failure symptom pattern observed post tear down?

let’s not forget @MJslasherADMIN, who had the phasers done and for nothing.

I’m not calling you into question, or your observations here. I’d just like more factual data being posted so we can cut down the sasquatch77 trolling and actually have more accurate data for the user community.

This issue does exist in multiple engine platforms, not just the 5.4/6.2 v8 & 3.5v6 from Ford. but the wild, crazy, Chuck Schumer like “sky is falling and so is the republic” rhetoric is not helpful.

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree - I am trying to help you. What is your problem with that?

You are not trying to help, you are trying to freak people out by pointing to the worse possible cause of noise when multiple people have said its not their noise, the noise in question comes from the trans area. You continue to repeat yourself about cam phaser problems when that is not the issue here.

Go Away.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok, let’s drill down into this further. “you know for certain of 3 instances...”

cam phaser replacement -and other engine work-.

Do you know if the cam phasers were failed, and replaced because they failed, or was it a repair based on a hunch and process of elimination troubleshooting?

What other engine work?
Did something let go and cause or contribute to the cam phasers dying?
How do you know of these other cases? First hand- you personally know the owners, have spoken to the mechanics, researched and have data?
2nd hand - you were told by a single or multiple sources
if 2nd hand, did you verify the information independently?
Were these trucks built within a common time period? Before or after prod went south of the border?
Was there a common failure symptom pattern observed post tear down?

Let’s not forget @mjslasheradmin, who had the phasers done and for nothing.

I’m not calling you into question, or your observations here. I’d just like more factual data being posted so we can cut down the sasquatch77 trolling and actually have more accurate data for the user community.

This issue does exist in multiple engine platforms, not just the 5.4/6.2 v8 & 3.5v6 from ford. But the wild, crazy, chuck schumer like “sky is falling and so is the republic” rhetoric is not helpful.

1.PNG2.jpg3.jpg

1.PNG

2.jpg

3.jpg

smurfslayer

Reaction score
The one on the right seems to indicate the issue is resolved, correct?

if these people contacted Ford C/S and got some kind of case number, those may help. without naming the manufacturer, I was previously part of a “case pooling” effort to fight the “we’ve never heard of this issue before” line of BS. Once the number was beyond 4 dozen, it became impossible to say that. It didn’t happen overnight but, after several people called and answered that line with “I know of the following other case numbers documenting exactly the same issue”, this manufacturer began publicly acknowledging the issue and promising a fix. It got fixed, but as you might imagine, it wasn’t overnight.

The first 2 images don’t seem to be resolved yet, right?

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The one on the right seems to indicate the issue is resolved, correct?

if these people contacted Ford C/S and got some kind of case number, those may help. without naming the manufacturer, I was previously part of a “case pooling” effort to fight the “we’ve never heard of this issue before” line of BS. Once the number was beyond 4 dozen, it became impossible to say that. It didn’t happen overnight but, after several people called and answered that line with “I know of the following other case numbers documenting exactly the same issue”, this manufacturer began publicly acknowledging the issue and promising a fix. It got fixed, but as you might imagine, it wasn’t overnight.

The first 2 images don’t seem to be resolved yet, right?

Correct. But that's not because they don't know what it is. The third guy has had his cams replaced and the noise has gone away. Now, whether it will stay that way without the new part, we'll have to wait and see.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Correct. But that's not because they don't know what it is. The third guy has had his cams replaced and the noise has gone away. Now, whether it will stay that way without the new part, we'll have to wait and see.

as @03Darin has suggested in the throttle stuttering on accel thread, it’s key that information is shared to the extent possible for these instances.
The more factual you can make reports of this, the better chance for a lasting fix, if it ends up being something that crops up with any frequency, it may help a user down the road.

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
Good thing so many spoke up about the cam phaser rattle. Without that, Ford wouldn't be redesigning them right now. Hopefully they get it right this time... But they are on at least the third attempt.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good thing so many spoke up about the cam phaser rattle. Without that, Ford wouldn't be redesigning them right now. Hopefully they get it right this time... But they are on at least the third attempt.

Gargamel. Please tell me. You are previously known as MGD, correct? Aka, Sasquatch and Mcnawsty.

you are going to just get banned and have to start under a new name again anyway so please just tell me so I can know for my own confirmation.

Thanks

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After reading this thread, pretty sure this is the same issue I am having. Loud rattle noise start up when engine is cold. Getting worse. Today it was really loud and it died about 10 times before it would stay running.