Stage 2/2+ Hard Parts and Off The Shelf Maps Now Available!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone able to get a shot of the oem and Cobb IC side by side? I’m just curious about size difference.

texasflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here’s an update. COBBs install instructions are decent until it gets to the part where you need to trim the grill. I’m sitting here with my truck ripped apart absolutely STUMPED on what to do next. Not good....

I’m stuck at “unplug the ambient air temp sensor from grill”.... let’s not even get in to the trimming instructions.

I finished installing the COBB FMIC today. I agree... the instructions are a little confusing when it gets to the grill modifications, but I figured it out. The air temp sensor is at the bottom in the middle of the grill inside the shutters. I removed the shutters first which made it easier to remove the air temp harness and sensor. Note the sensor will be reinstalled on the COBB IC.

As far as trimming, once you remove all the shutters and remove the 8mm bolt in the middle and 3 plastic snap clips at the bottom, you just have to make 3 clean cuts of the upside down "T" shaped plastic piece. Top middle, bottom left and bottom right. I used a sawzall instead of a Dremel.

cao0215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good , but already installed svc intercooler, think it is the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished installing the COBB FMIC today. I agree... the instructions are a little confusing when it gets to the grill modifications, but I figured it out. The air temp sensor is at the bottom in the middle of the grill inside the shutters. I removed the shutters first which made it easier to remove the air temp harness and sensor. Note the sensor will be reinstalled on the COBB IC.

As far as trimming, once you remove all the shutters and remove the 8mm bolt in the middle and 3 plastic snap clips at the bottom, you just have to make 3 clean cuts of the upside down "T" shaped plastic piece. Top middle, bottom left and bottom right. I used a sawzall instead of a Dremel.

Yeah I was able to figure it out as well. Seems like they could have made it much easier to figure out with pics that weren’t taken so close up.

I was also confused on the BPV hose as nowhere did it say you needed to take the entire thing off and replace with the Cobb supplied hose. Also had some trouble routing that to where it fit properties.

The portion of piping that the BPV attaches to didn’t fit well at first either like it was too short. Managed to get it to fit.

I was surprised at how many parts and hardware I had that don’t get reinstalled. Along with electrical connections and hanging harnesses that needed to be zip tied up.

I’m thinking it would be a good idea to install something to protect the components that are now wide open to the elements where the oem intercooler used to be. Not sure what. Did you notice all that is wide open behind lower grill?

Initial impressions of stage 2 tune are at WOT the truck feels like it’s being held back whereas the stage 1 felt like it pulled to redline. Kind of weird. So much so that I double checked connections after test drive, but everything looks good... so... who knows!

texasflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was able to figure it out as well. Seems like they could have made it much easier to figure out with pics that weren’t taken so close up.

I was also confused on the BPV hose as nowhere did it say you needed to take the entire thing off and replace with the Cobb supplied hose. Also had some trouble routing that to where it fit properties.

The portion of piping that the BPV attaches to didn’t fit well at first either like it was too short. Managed to get it to fit.

I was surprised at how many parts and hardware I had that don’t get reinstalled. Along with electrical connections and hanging harnesses that needed to be zip tied up.

I’m thinking it would be a good idea to install something to protect the components that are now wide open to the elements where the oem intercooler used to be. Not sure what. Did you notice all that is wide open behind lower grill?

Initial impressions of stage 2 tune are at WOT the truck feels like it’s being held back whereas the stage 1 felt like it pulled to redline. Kind of weird. So much so that I double checked connections after test drive, but everything looks good... so... who knows!

I believe there are 3 harnesses that are no longer used. Grill shutters, stock IC shutters and IC fans, all of which are completely removed.

There definitely is more space underneath now, but after reinstalling the skid plate, everything should be just as protected. I ended up reinstalling the stock IC support bracket above the skid plate. Not sure why, but I just felt like it needed to be reinstalled.

I haven't driven it yet. I'm downloading the stage 2 map now so I'll probably do some testing tomorrow. I'll see if I notice it feeling like it's held back. I plan to get a protune anyway, so I'm not gonna worry too much.