Spray in bed liner. Factory or have dealer do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it yourself. Raptor Liner is a great product. Will cost you around $130.00 and about 4 hours of YOUR time. Then you can show it off to all of your friends and tell them YOU did it.
+1. Raptor Liner is on the company's truck beds, including the '11 Raptor. No issues to date. The 'YOU did it' part takes the cake, cost savings is just an added benefit.

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done the Al's Liner Do it yourself kits and no complaints with it.

Saw a cool system at sema this year, was an air powered gun and had 2 cartridges, but i think they said the gun was about 500 bucks.. Looked alot easier than having to mix everything and then clean your spray gun out..

But if you're going to be beating the shit out of your bed then you'd probably want a Line X.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use Raptor Liner to coat the insides of my inner liners that we install. This stuff is bullet-proof. Can't even imagine how hard a rock hits the liners at 70+ mph.

The Raptor Liner is applied with a gun and about 50 psi of air. Depending on how far away you keep the gun, it can be laid down pretty smooth.

The clean up of the gun takes about 2 minutes, so that's not an issue.

As with any painting project, the longest part of the whole thing is prep. But by doing it yourself, you know that it was done right and no shortcuts were taken.

Re-coating, if ever needed, is a breeze as this stuff doesn't appear to fade much over time. Just takes a good pressure washing and it bonds great to itself.

Enough of my sales pitch (disclaimer - I don't sell or represent Raptor Liner in any way).......

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hands down have Line-X do it and have the wheel wells done while your there since there apparently is no wheel well liners for the 17 Raptor. Will cost a bit more than the factory- thin- lining that is done. I have bad habit of throwing stuff in my truck bed that is heavy. I have 2015 now and the aluminum WILL dent.

Miker397

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread popped up. I spec'd the factory spray in, but now that I think about it I'm not sure I really need a bed liner at all? I'm getting a Bakflip VP hard cover and a mesh net to throw groceries in the back, otherwise it'll likely never have anything more demanding than a bunch of hard luggage and baby car seats. When I take it to the sand dunes or any aggressive driving, the bed will be empty obviously. So with it being covered always and out of sight, I'm not sure why I would care about scratching the paint in the bed and when it does get scratched up, I can always DIY the Raptor Liner for $400 savings or have LineX do it later. I definitely would prefer to save 3 weeks off my delivery time.

So, with light bed use expected and a hard cover always on, any real reason I should get a liner right now at all?

Last edited:

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty simple. The factory liner would be just as tough as line-x if they scuffed the paint as line -x does. Of course the factory one is going to peel up easily if they just sprayed onto a glossy Unprepared finish.

But they do prep the bed, as evidenced in the other video posted in some thread showing the factory install process.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...So, with light bed use expected and a hard cover always on, any real reason I should get a liner right now at all?

It is easier to prep/apply when the vehicle is new...especially the wheel wells. I have applied Raptor Liner to a vehicle that was in service already for ~2 years. Some extra work cleaning and prepping, but it still applied and functions well. Another truck: 2004 Super Duty with 300K miles that is getting a fresh coat this week. The old Spray in Liner application is doing just as well as the Oxford White on the exterior...but as might be expected for a work truck after 12 years, it is time to refresh both finishes.

Bottom line: for your stated use, later would not be a problem.