Spare Tire mounting....rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WOW

WOW

Reaction score
I do have a comment if you don’t mind,, wouldn’t that be less ideal to save on one tire having a discrepancy in the age of the tires having bought only three new ones ? I always believed in keeping the spare tire for emergency use only and as long as it is functional and it will remain as a spare. your thoughts.

The age of a tire is definitely something to be aware of. I figure why let the tire age out without using it? My spare date code is 4917. My new tires are 4520, 4620, and 4920. So my tires were made in the 49th week of 2017, and the 45th, 46th and 49th week of 2020. An Internet search revealed that Discount Tire says that most Vehicle manufacturers recommend tire replacement at six (6) years, and tire manufacturers warranties expire at six (6) years. Tire manufacturers recommend replacement at 10 years, regardless of tread depth. https://www.discounttire.com/learn/...C0mp33ypoYwIco5EynNRX3RcqP7UrlR8aAlOfEALw_wcB So I put my best old, nearly worn out, tire on my spare rim. I am using my 3-1/2 year old spare (that sat under the truck, out of the sun) along with three 6 Month old tires. If I get three years out of these tires, I will probably replace all five at that time. Then I might put a TPMS sensor in my spare rim and start rotating the spare in at each rotation. Of course by then I might have a chase rack and two spares.

Last edited:

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to remove my spare to mount it on the rack in the bed. I did have a bit of an issue inserting the jack handle but nothing to fuss over about. Seems normal for most vehicles. I didnt even use the funnel they included. Seriously thought it was a fuel funnel for Jerry cans but you dont need one

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had to remove my spare to mount it on the rack in the bed. I did have a bit of an issue inserting the jack handle but nothing to fuss over about. Seems normal for most vehicles. I didnt even use the funnel they included. Seriously thought it was a fuel funnel for Jerry cans but you dont need one
That is for the fuel, if you use a jerry can, I use race cans and I need the funnel for those or its a f'n mess, they will dump fuel like a ****** gobbles ---- on a Saturday night.