Spare Tire mounting....rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to lower their spare tire recently?
Nope. Haven't had a spare under the bed in 10 years. In town, I'll call AAA and tow it home the once in 5 years I might need the spare with me; out of town, that's what a bed rack is for.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems Like I’ve been taking the spare off and on way too much the last month due to exhaust exchanges and leaf springs this past weekend new SVC Shackles, yes it can be a chore but practice, practice practice!

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flipped mine around to access the valve stem plus a can fit a waterproof bag of whatever I don’t want in the cab inside the spare rim

OP
OP
WOW

WOW

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I hope this thread has helped people know that the spare is not as simple to access as you may think. Tires are so reliable that we often take for granted that the spare is there until we need it. I have not needed access to my spare tire for 3 years or 52,000 miles, and I do a lot of off road drives to mountain top radio tower sites. I'm glad I had this experience through installing new tires before I really needed the spare on the trail. A little practice before we are stuck with a flat on a muddy trail in the rain somewhere could help keep the blood pressure low. I also hope someone from Ford was watching. In the future Ford should at least extend the guide tube closer to the hole in the bumper to make it easier to find with the jack handle. They also could make their diagram in the owners manual match reality. I know on past Ford trucks this was not a problem. I found on another thread a recommendation for a spare tire valve stem extension. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflator/Wheel-Masters/WM82286-S.html I plan to install something like this so that I don't have to unpack the jack handle and lower the spare tire just to verify I have the proper inflation in my spare from time to time. Dropping the spare tire down for the occasional spring cleaning may be a good idea too.

Oh, now that the new tires and factory bead lock rings are on, it is time to get to work installing the shocks with Eibach springs, Deaver +4 springs and SVC bump stops. I'll start a new thread for that.

tabshim

Reaction score
LOL,,,
Agree 100%
I am a new owner became eager to figure out how to change my tire before I really needs it in the middle of nowhere,, indeed I had the same struggle it felt like attempting to intubate but not finding the hole
Had to practice several times in my garage to get the hang of it.
I do have a comment if you don’t mind,, wouldn’t that be less ideal to save on one tire having a discrepancy in the age of the tires having bought only three new ones ? I always believed in keeping the spare tire for emergency use only and as long as it is functional and it will remain as a spare. your thoughts.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dropped the spare today and got it in the hole first time!!!!

If you got a BL rim, take the beauty ring off and clean underneath. I put a light film of FF also. I’m sure the oxidation eventually will lift the paint on the rim.

Cleaned the cable and hook, spritzed with FF and good for another season.