Southwest Colorado Raptor Adventure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Mike has our rooms confirmed for the night of the 27TH. See whoever in Lake City on Wednesday morn. ............... Meeting place set yet Trey?

BDRAG

I am thinking just around the square there downtown. That or at the Fly Fishing Place across the street from the gas station on the Creede side of town.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
I am thinking just around the square there downtown. That or at the Fly Fishing Place across the street from the gas station on the Creede side of town.

Looking at Google maps and trying to remember, there is a gas station / burger joint across the street from the fly shop I think. At the end of the building the fly shop is in. the creed side, I think I remember there being a decent size gravel parking lot behind the fly shop and pizza, sandwitch shop there. The address or intersection is 149 & Spring St. . This the fly shop you mention?
ere is the link to the map. Its the silver roofed building in the upper right of the map. Gas station across the street has a red roof.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=38.024158,-107.317109&spn=0.001107,0.002175&t=h&z=19

BDRAG

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is such a great area. You guys are going to love it. I lived in Both Silverton and Telluride, and have always loved the adventures available in the area.

Wish I could come up and join you.

Have fun.

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a list of camping and lodging in the area.
Campgrounds Near Silverton, Colorado

Lodging: Durango Colorado has many modern hotels, if one desires. Durango is 50 miles south of Silverton on US 550, the drive is roughly a hour.
http://www.durango.org/lodging/durango-hotels.aspxRed Mountain Motel, RV, and Cabins:
Red Mountain Motel, Cabins, RV Park Alpine House
Cable color TVs. Queen beds. Deluxe baths. Full kitchens. Non-smoking. Reasonable rates. VISA-MasterCard-Discover-American Express. Daily or weekly rentals. Economical, quiet and centrally located.1234 Greene Street/PO Box 58
Silverton CO, 81433
Phone: 970-387-5628
Fax: 970-387-0150
[email protected]rs: May to October
The Alpine House on Red Mountain Pass
3 all-season Cabins on Red Mountain Pass in the Red Mtn. Mining District. Family-friendly, great for small groups. Affordable, rustic comfort, great views, easy access. Private Alpine location - Hike, Jeep or Ski out the door. Sleeps 2-12. Nightly Rental.Highway 550
Silverton CO, 81433
Phone: 970-260-2101
[email protected]rs: Year round
Canyon View Motel
Silverton's only handicapped-accessible rooms. Large rooms with either 1 king or 2 queens. AC, in-room coffee/tea, fridges, micros, cable TV. All non-smoking. Large on-site parking. Clean and friendly. Locally-owned and operated. PETS WELCOME. FREE WIFI.661 Greene St/PO Box 729
Silverton 81433
Phone: 970-387-5400
[email protected]rs: Year-round
http://www.canyonviewmotel.com/There are many more bed and breakfasts and motels in the town, these are just a few.
Campgrounds: South Mineral Creek: Open: Seasonal
Number of Sites: 26
Reservations: No
About: South Mineral Campground is accessed by turning off U.S. Highway 550, about 3 miles west of Silverton, onto Forest Rd. 585, which heads west along South Mineral Creek. The campground is 4 miles off the highway and has 26 mostly level sites. Several camping loops and well-spaced sites are mostly shaded, but some are sunny. A few are next to the creek, and some have large parking areas. The Ice Lake Basin Trail, a strenuous, steep, and popular hike, begins across the road from the campground. It leads up above timberline to high alpine lakes surrounded by meadows of wildflowers and rocky peaks. Please stay on the trail to avoid steep, dangerous dropoffs. Dispersed camping along Forest Rd. 585 is allowed only in designated camping areas. Follow posted directions and instructions. The road to the campground is drivable by 2WD, but not far after the campground, it becomes 4WD. Driving off- road is prohibited, but many other 4WD roads in the Silverton area are open to motorized use.
Fees: none
Usage: Heavy
Water: Potable Water
Restrooms: Vault Toilets
Molas Lake Park & CampgroundCampground DetailsOpen: Open from May 15 through Sep 30
Number of Sites: 57
Tents Allowed: Yes
Dogs Allowed: Yes
Molas Lake Campground provides visitors with unforgettable scenery, a stocked 25-acre lake, National Forest access via the Colorado Trail, and dark, starry skies free from light-pollution. The campground and day-use amenities were completely renovated in 2008. There are more than 50 campsites serving tent-campers, small RV's and pop-ups, and a few sites over 1,500 square feet to serve even the largest RV's. The park has one water pump, several clean and new vault-style restrooms, showers, and a dump-station for RV's.
FacilitiesADA-Accessible: This extra-large site is suitable for campers in an RV of up to 23 feet in length, tent campers, or pop-up campers. It includes a concrete surface with level, paved access to a clean vault-style toilet. There are no on-site hookups available.
Lake-View RV: Each site is outfitted with a gravel parking and tent pad or all-dirt surface, as well as a fire pit and picnic table. Suitable for motorhomes, trailers, and fifth-wheels of any size. There are no on-site hookups available. There are only 3 of these sites, so they fill up fast.
Small RV or Tent: Each site is outfitted with a gravel parking and tent pad or all-dirt surface, as well as a fire pit and picnic table. Suitable for tents, pop-up campers, and small RV's (motor homes under 23' or trailers under 17'). There are no on-site hookups available.
Standard RV: These extra-large sites sit within a unique geological formation and allow ample room for even the largest RV (minimum 30' x 50') and associated camp setup. All sites are back-in. Each site is outfitted with a gravel parking and tent pad or all-dirt surface, as well as a fire pit and picnic table.
Suitable for motorhomes, trailers, and fifth-wheels of any size. There are no on-site hookups available.
Waterfront Tent: Each site is outfitted with a gravel parking and tent pad or all-dirt surface, as well as a fire pit and picnic table. Suitable for tents only. There are no on-site hookups available.
Waterfront Small RV: Each site is outfitted with a gravel parking and tent pad or all-dirt surface, as well as a fire pit and picnic table. Suitable for pop-up campers or small RV's (motor homes under 23' or trailers under 17'). There are no on-site hookups available.
Walk-in Tent: These sites are ideal for campers who pack light and don't mind being away from their car. Walk-in campers park in a shared lot and walk 50 to 200 feet to access their campsite. All sites are walk-in access for tent camping only. Each site features a graveled camping pad and can support at least one tent, as well as a fire pit and picnic table. There are no on-site hookups available.
AmenitiesPicnic areas with Grills
Restrooms (vault toilets, no running water or electricity)
Hot-water Showers ($4 per use)
Potable Water
Dump Station ($10 fee; FREE for guests staying three or more nights)
Gravel or Dirt Tent Pads
Just 10 minutes drive to the Town of Silverton

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
CBS001,

I don't know if you have ever been out there but 50 miles on a tourist packed road can take quit awhile! HAhaaaaa. It may only be 50 miles here or there but there are NO straight roads in this area. The Million dollor Hyway goes from Ourey to Silverton and that has been on that show Worlds, Deadlyist Roads. It is one hellofa road on a bike at speed and can only take 30 minutes but I have also been in heavy traffic and had it take 2 hours. Oh and if the state just happens to have road repairs, HAHhaaaaaaaaa. Single lane waits in the hot sun. Ahhhhhh they are great on a bike. HAhahaaaaaa.

I guess what I am saying is, stay near by and don't count on staying in a near by town, it may be an adventure, HAhahaaaaa. I suggest leaving pretty early to meet up if your doing much distance.

I will be driving to Lake City from Salida. Mike says 2 hours from there. I will allow for 3 hours.

BDRAG

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
What's the headcount looking like

BDRAG for one day
CBS001
PhyGuy
????

I am planning on playing everything by ear on camping/rooms. I know of a good spot for the second night, and I am sure we can find one for the first. If I recall there is one once you get down corkscrew pass.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
What's the headcount looking like

BDRAG for one day
CBS001
PhyGuy
????

DAMN! Definatly NOT TRR I turnout! AHhahaaaaaa. We are still going right? A few are making a long ass drive to hook up. If this thing fizzles let me know Trey. You still have my cell #?

BDRAG

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I'm doing the trip no matter what, cuz my wife says so. I'll post up an address for the meeting place on the Monday beforehand since I'll be in lake city that day.

5-6 raptors will probably be plenty on those trails!

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be there. Not sure what day/days as we'll be getting back from Lake Powell earlier in the week. (BTW - If anyone is passing through the Bullfrog, UT (Lake Powell UT side) area on their way, feel free to drop in for a boat ride to cool off). :005: