Some praise for Ford Engineering...

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by lawdog, Jul 13, 2018.

1. lawdog

lawdog Full Access Member

I think we all can be quick to complain about the little (and some big) things that we don't like about this truck, but it really is a pretty phenomenal piece of machinery.

I have taken mine from coastal SC up into the Western NC mountains twice in the past month, and I have to say I was very impressed with how the transmission performed in Sport mode in the twisties. Only a few times would/might I have made a different shift than the truck did, and it was a lot of fun. Definitely not like my old Audi B5 S4 from back when I was single, but very fun/capable, given the physical limitations of any large pickup.

Now, if I could just get it not gag on my iPod...

rtmozingo and FullAuto like this.
  2. cwylie

cwylie Full Access Member

Yeah normal mode is a little of a slouch and sport is nice. I wish there was something in the middle too.

3. Booth9999

Booth9999 Full Access Member

I like it going up hill in the mountains but down hill it is a little agressive. Sometimes it will hold it at like 5500 rpm for way too long. It was doing it the other day so I stabbed the throttle to get it to go to 4th and it missed the shift and bounced off the rev limiter for a second before it hit the next gear. Only done it once.

4. jaz13

jaz13 FRF Addict

Tow mode is handy for engine braking in the mountains. Disables overdrive and holds gears going downhill, but nowhere as aggressively as you described.

rtmozingo likes this.
  5. Loufish

Loufish Full Access Member

I've found shifting manually overcomes some gear issues when in Sport. I did a lot of manual shifting for fun in my last truck so I'm kind of used to it..

Funny, my truck seems to gag a little with my Android...

6. Sozzy12

Sozzy12 Full Access Member

Let's be honest here.... There are no real "mountains" in North Carolina. Just large hills... I spent a lot of time in NC back in the day, and I always got a chuckle anytime a local referred to them as mountains.

Booth9999 likes this.
  7. Loufish

Loufish Full Access Member

I love driving my truck and we do have a few grades here in Southern Kalifornia and that little 3.5L torques up them like they're not there...

8. lawdog

It's all relative...I'm sure there are sherpas in Nepal who do the same thing when an Idahoan shows up.

I was headed to Highlands, NC, the 2nd highest incorporated town east of the Mississippi at 4,118ft, and the roads in and out of there are most definitely mountainous in nature.

9. Sozzy12

Sozzy12 Full Access Member

4,118... LMFAO... Hahahaha

10. lawdog

I'm glad you're so proud of those mountains you had nothing to do with. Can you throw a football over them too, Uncle Rico?