Raptor vs. Texas Hail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Monday, 16 Aug 2021, between 2:45pm—3:30pm CDT on I-40E in the open space just east of Amarillo—to McLean TX our 2018 Raptor was hit hard by wind driven hail from the north (striking left side heavily and hood/roof diagonally—from drivers side vantage point).

Hail was easily quarter sized at max (mixed in with smaller) and driven by high wind. Candidly, my concern was window glass and not dents for obvious reasons while driving.

Anyone who has encountered this on I-40 in the Texas Panhandle (wind turbine country) may be able to relate.

The rain, grass, dust, etc. flying across contributed to very low visibility but we put on the hazards and all the Rigid(tm) lights (fog/spot/flood) and plugged along at modest speeds in 4A.

We are not fans of sitting on the side of the road (or huddling under an overpass) as that is an invitation to get rear ended by a semi or someone slowing down to crowd under the overpass at the last minute and running into you.

We plugged along steadily enjoying the sound of hail music and stopped at a Phillips 66 after things died down.

Not a dent, ding, nada. Actually, it the Raptor looked cleaner than before the storm—as it was covered in bugs and dust from New Mexico and Colorado.

I was impressed as the aluminum (and composite hood/front fenders) holds up just as well as expected given that aluminum is a thicker gauge and has different properties vs. steel (which also makes aluminum more difficult to repair, but that is another topic).

This wasn’t fun and neither my wife nor I were in the mood to take pictures to be YouTube(tm) celebrities.

Overall, we were thankful to make it back home safely—and have no reason to doubt the aluminum/composite skin of the Raptor unless the hail of course gets larger (golf ball and up).

———————————————————————————————————————-
NOTE1: This is an N=1 and I cannot empirically verify the size of the hail or wind speed—thus rendering it an observation.

NOTE2: This is not meant to imply that a steel skinned vehicle would have performed better/worse than the aluminum skin/composite hood/front fenders. Please do not infer a comparison—as both aluminum and steel have pros/cons when it comes to hail and dent repairs from an engineering perspective.

NOTE3: I was pleased to see that aluminum performed practically vs. theoretically under conditions where I expected damage.

NOTE4: OEMs and aftermarket companies could open test facilities for hail damage along I-40 in the Texas Panhandle—unless this already exists, lol.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything nickel sized and larger will damage a vehicle. I'd see if you can have a shop put lights on it and see if there are dents. Also check the fenders and hood for stress cracks.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything nickel sized and larger will damage a vehicle. I'd see if you can have a shop put lights on it and see if there are dents. Also check the fenders and hood for stress cracks.
@ColoradoBoss

Respectfully, 100% as an OEM—I disagree with you regarding nickel sized hail on an OEM body on Ford Raptors (as well as those of other OEM manufacturers with OEM aluminum, steel, or composite bodies).

If your vehicle has “aftermarket body panels” (NOTE: emphasis on aftermarket hoods, fenders, etc.)—thinner gauge steel, aluminum, or composite wall thickness—you may be correct.

The aftermarket panels can be damaged easily by impacts that have no effect on an OEM panel made of steel, aluminum, or composite.

The aftermarket has to promote weight savings which means—thinner gauge. If your gauge is thin enough, I could probably dent it with my ring or my fist without much effort.

OEMs have developed vehicle bodies—which we drive daily, made of aluminum, steel, composite which easily handle nickel sized hail.

Engineering and physics are irrefutable.

Aluminum has lower density which allows for the thicker OEM gauge—while saving weight.

NOTE1: If the wind velocity exceeds 70-80mph plus with nickel sized hail—yes could dent an OEM vehicle panel. At that point, if my vehicle was being pummeled by straight line winds/hail/impending tornado—I’d concede that he OEM did a great job and start worrying about making it home safely.

NOTE2: I am comfortable in saying that the Raptor (Gen 2) exceeds any expectations that I have in terms of hail/impact resistance—1 inch hail, driven by heavy wind.

NOTE3: Steel is easier to repair and aluminum is more difficult. Please note—there is a give/take from a budget standpoint with every material in existence.

Last edited:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
NOTE1: If the wind velocity exceeds 70-80mph plus with nickel sized hail—yes could dent an OEM vehicle panel. At that point, if my vehicle was being pummeled by straight line winds/hail/impending tornado—I’d concede that he OEM did a great job and start worrying about making it home safely.

At that wind speed though, hail wouldn't be the only thing you'd have worry about hitting your vehicle.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that wind speed though, hail wouldn't be the only thing you'd have worry about hitting your vehicle.
@melvimbe

Correct.

Semis pulled over in order that they would not get rolled.

NWS data is available for the storm—for those with interest.

My intent was to share that the Raptor exceeded what I expected—1” (quarter diameter, high wind speeds, and my forward speed of 50mph due to vis).

OEM sheet metal is pretty tough.

Last edited:

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean I work at a body shop and we deal with a reputable PDR technician who has traveled the country and done this for the past 30 years. I think it's safe to say I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two but I'm not gonna argue.