Solder or Splice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, a big thanks to Off Road Alliance and 4x4 Truck LEDs for their assistance in ordering BD XL80s and other parts.

I purchased the BD wire harness and splitter for ease of install of the BD XL80s to the AUX switches and noticed the harness came pre-wired with a “vampire clip” for splicing.

What is the preferred/long term reliability method for connection of the wire? Use the supplied connector or cut off and solder together?

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do weather proof connectors instead. Say you want to change things up down the road and you need to cut the wire, you could run the risk of the truck side up fitter wires getting short and harder to deal with. If you have a connector there instead it makes it easy to get the opposite end or just a new pin for the existing load side. If you don't care a heat shrunk/weather proof butt splice does the job fine.

Examples
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK46YYT/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B518GCJ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So you can use that "vampire clip" but i'm going to be honest... it'll possibly come loose. What I did on my truck (originally, I made my own harnesses since then) is I cut the clip off and just put a weatherproof heat shrinkable wire connector on it. That's what we use on our own harneses now. But did the job. Nice, secure, weatherproof.

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solder! Everything I had installed with clips had to be soldered.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for either a crimp or a splice. Solder causes the wire to stiffen, resulting in long term fatigue due to vibration and eventual breakage. Automotive and aviation manufacturing use crimped connections because they’re more reliable, not just because they’re easier to manufacture.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the FAA`s site on wiring, no connector`s ever. I would think that they know what the best way is.

Depending on what your doing also help make the decision to hard wire or use a connector of your choice. Every vehicle manufacturer uses them and like Wheelman55 says, Deutsch is one of the best waterproof and reliable connector`s out there

Just look at the plug next to your hitch, who would hard wire a trailer?