so are the SCT tuners a "one time use" tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I buy a paperweight? Did everyone buy one? Has anyone experienced buying a SCT tuner and it not work on another vehicle?

***Im talking about AFTER it was reprogrammed by a vendor for the "new" vehicle, and after all the fluff, emails, phone calls, etc. the vendor couldn't get it to work?

I realize its fixed to where a truck can't "share" tunes with another truck (my last tuner was a Spartan Tech tuner ($1500)...

So when you buy a SCT (or similar) programmer, is it just a "disposable" unit, allowing you to tune your specific truck, and if you sell your truck you are just stuck with the pieces?

Whats the joke? (talk amongst yourselves)

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, there is no joke.

Here's how it works and sorry if it's what you already said in different words.

You buy tuner. It's "unlocked/un-married".
You tune to vehicle. It becomes locked/married.
You sell tuner without returning vehicle to stock.
Buyer then has paperweight until sent to SCT and unlocked for $150.
Tuner is then unlocked/un-married.

Scenario 2:

You buy tuner. It's "unlocked/un-married".
You tune to vehicle. It becomes locked/married.
You sell tuner, returning vehicle to stock.
Buyer then has unlocked/un-married tuner that can be reloaded with new tune for new vehicle.

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, You are right. You said the same thing I just said it a little more colorful. Lol.

Scenario 2 is what I went with. It never worked in the new truck after new tunes were installed by 5 star.

So...I'm wondering if anyone else has had trouble when they sold/swapped a tuner from one Raptor to another?

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, You are right. You said the same thing I just said it a little more colorful. Lol.

Scenario 2 is what I went with. It never worked in the new truck after new tunes were installed by 5 star.

So...I'm wondering if anyone else has had trouble when they sold/swapped a tuner from one Raptor to another?

It may not work on the next Raptor due to the ECU code programmed into the tuner being different than yours.

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could happen. However, in my first and second posts I mentioned te original tuner was re-programmed specifically for the new truck, presumably to forego those problems.

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
That could happen. However, in my first and second posts I mentioned te original tuner was re-programmed specifically for the new truck, presumably to forego those problems.

Sounds like you got a good ol case of being bent over sir.........

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew, sorry, haven't been around lately... sometimes I got shit goin on. lol

Well, I'll guess I'll contact 5 Star and find out why this thing isn't reprogramming, for use on another 6.2.

has anyone else tried unsuccessfully to reprogram a SCT tuner from 5 star?

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Sounds like it works like most handhelds.

Any chance they offer a two-VIN option? That is, buy one tuner and tune two trucks with it...obviously at a premium, but for less than the cost of two.