Snow and Gear Selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got hit with the same storm in NH and I was messing with setups on the way to work. Normal Mode in 4H is what your want for normal hooked up driving. Weather mode is for Prius drivers and shouldn't exist. If you try to slide it around a corner or go faster VSC really starts getting in the way in Normal or even Sport mode. In my 2018 Mud/Sand mode is the way to go for fun in the snow. The nannies are dialed all the way to the background and the truck wakes up. The behavior of the throttle is more predictable, as is braking because it also dials ABS way back. ABS makes stopping so much worse and is only helpful in a total panic stop. Having it mostly off is very helpful for predictable behavior.

jb616

Reaction score
I too am in Pittsburgh. Snow was coming down at it hardest when I headed home, never saw a plow and all the roads were very covered. Drove from Scott Township to Gibsonia in 4A and the weather mode and truthfully had zero issues of slipping or traction loss. Had it in the same mode this morning but quickly went back to normal and 2H when the roads were decent. Obviously can slip a little bit coming to a stop quickly.

My tires are fairly new though so I’m sure that was a help.

derise

Reaction score
NY just got decent amount today. Simply put it in BAJA and manually shift through paddles.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am in Pittsburgh. Snow was coming down at it hardest when I headed home, never saw a plow and all the roads were very covered. Drove from Scott Township to Gibsonia in 4A and the weather mode and truthfully had zero issues of slipping or traction loss. Had it in the same mode this morning but quickly went back to normal and 2H when the roads were decent. Obviously can slip a little bit coming to a stop quickly.

My tires are fairly new though so I’m sure that was a help.

You guys are funny down there. Snow is something to play in. Get out of weather mode. Actually having safe traction isn't an issue with a vehicle like this. It's a matter of what mode lets you drive at a normal speed while in control.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a good snow first winter I had mine. Put it in 4H and left in normal mode. Was pushing snow with the bumper on my way into town. it was just me and the snowmobiles out. Ran Baja mode on the way home out on the country roads for fun

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4 high and no locked diff works for me on anything over 2 inches. less then 2, AWD.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are funny down there. Snow is something to play in. Get out of weather mode. Actually having safe traction isn't an issue with a vehicle like this. It's a matter of what mode lets you drive at a normal speed while in control.
I took it out of weather mode after a bit. It just made the pedal sluggish. 4A Normal is good enough.

Guithues

Reaction score
4A or weather (not sure the difference) for California mountain (wet) snow. Used 4L and diff lock once when I sank the truck in 3.5' deep snow, and blasted the thing out like something in the movies. Thanks for the traction control tip though, i'll give it a try next time i get the chance.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
845C09D6-1E67-4BE9-A7EA-30B1D90CBD1E.jpeg Press traction control button once, click ok then press and hold until stabilitrak is off. Auto is only for rain.... put it in 4wd and proceed to have fun drifting and such. Warning!!!! First, if you don’t have enough skill or ability disregard and fall in line with the rest of the sheep driving slow as hell with their flashers on. Second, if your a sheep do us all a favor and go trade the raptor in on something more fitting like a Prius. Third, go have fun or **** off!!!!!
:driver::flipthebird:

Last edited:

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Press traction control button once, click ok then press and hold until stabilitrak is off. Auto is only for rain.... put it in 4wd and proceed to have fun drifting and such. Warning!!!! First, if you don’t have enough skill or ability disregard and fall in line with the rest of the sheep driving slow as hell with their flashers on. Second, if your a sheep do us all a favor and go trade the raptor in on something more fitting like a Prius. Third, go have fun or **** off!!!!!
:driver::flipthebird:

I 2nd all of this