Shocks / Rebuilt ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New shocks are crazy expensive, so I'm about to pull the trigger with a local shock re-builder. Anyone with experience having this done?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth, i am rebuilding my shocks for the first time and its quite easy to swap out the seals. If you're having them rebuilt by someone like me who is just doing it in their garage i don't think you'll have any issues. Pulling them apart, swapping seals and recharging them is pretty simple. The tough part would be verifying the shaft is ok and replacing either the lower eyelet bushing or the bushing in the top cap. Refinishing the shafts or checking to see if their bent would take a lathe or some special machine to measure runout and if they need to be refinished, that would probably take some other special machine. Getting the bushings out took a 20 ton press and a specific tool. Going back to the shafts, you could always have them replaced if you're worried about it. The last thing is refinishing the body. Thats where all the work is. if you want them cleaned up and refinished, there's a lot of scrapping, sand blasting, chemical stripping and polishing to get them to look good or get them cleaned up enough to accept powder coat, which again takes some tools. I have not used Forged or TSW but i've heard good things, but if you're going with a local guy i'd ask about the things i mentioned above, shaft inspection, bushing replacement, and refinishing, but if you just want seals replaced, anyone with some basic tools and mechanical knowledge can do it.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of people rebuild shocks. Check your local FB Raptor page. I bet they’ll recommend a couple of local places

dj30417

XX drive an OG Raptor and a Winnie
Reaction score
I don’t understand: $1520 for all four new on rockauto or tsw $700 plus shipping for a basic rebuild up to $2000 for what I suppose could be considered a complete rebuild but not an upgrade. TSW also has the option of shipping your old shocks to them and they will give you some sort of refund.

I’m not in desperate need so I’ll keep saving and buy new. Then decide what to do with the current ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc