SCREW v. SCAB: Please give me *your* "legal opinion" on this important case.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i originally ordered a black scab with bedliner. emailed to change it to terrain then immediately emailed back to keep it black. then had them change to terrain. then changed that to a screw terrain. then changed bedliner to plus package. NOW, I'm going with terrain scab no options... and I'm considering going back to black lol

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jeez, I've had three full grown adults fit in the back of my scab, but your kids won't fit? Weird.

And my truck didn't come with a brochure. It does have a manual though.... And the manual didn't differentiate between the back and front material.... So.....

madenis

Reaction score
Have a 2010 5.4 Scab and a 2012 6.2 Screw. Depends what your looking to do with the truck. Strictly using as what it is design for a 6.2 scab is what I would look at. Any part of daily driver go with the screw

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Facts:

Scab is more nimble and responsive on and off road.
Scab has a better breakover angle.
Scab is faster.
Scab is cheaper.
Scab looks more aggressive.

Screw is smoother over rhythmic whoops sections.
Screw is easier to control in a slide.
Screw is harder to roll over.
Screw has more rear legroom.
Screw is quieter over bumps due to b pillar door frame.

Have a 2010 5.4 Scab and a 2012 6.2 Screw. Depends what your looking to do with the truck. Strictly using as what it is design for a 6.2 scab is what I would look at. Any part of daily driver go with the screw

Amen! I stand correct, I was Just trying to put factual explanations out there so others don't get talked into screws from dealers. When I was ordering my scab, I had my dealer offering me the same price on a screw to get me into one due to the availability versus resorting to the ordering banks. I have money to get what I wanted so I wanted the original purpose built truck. I also have other vehicles so it boils down to what your comfortable with purchasing. BOTH SCREWS AND SCABS are nice. I'm not biased towards scabs nor screws but I will say it how it is from my point of view. The cost between the screws and scabs is a drop in a bucket. Ford knew why these trucks weren't selling in scab configuration. The economy would rather more bang for buck in this price range so this is what Ford offered.
My guys come eat with me a few times a week and not one of those grown men have complained from riding in my scab. THIS SAYS A LOT when your employees aren't whining, rite?!?! LoL

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha... stirring the pot?

Your first sentence claims that the shorter wheelbase has "supposed" advantages. The second sentence eludes to the fact that these supposed advantages actually do make the truck more capable.

It's just a fact that the shorter wheelbase has it's advantages off the pavement. Don't take this as me comparing the Raptor to a Trophy Truck, but there's a reason that pretty much all Trophy Trucks have a wheelbase between 125-130 inches.

WHEELBASE:
SCAB: 133.3"
SCREW: 144.5"

In regard to doubting my own abilities... I do that all the time. Part of the adrenaline rush in driving for me is finding my comfort zone and driving just beyond it. Some may call it wreckless, but I feel that slightly pushing beyond your comfort zone is the best way to improve your driving ability (or put yourself in the hospital or in the ground). I'm not a professional race car/truck driver, but I did drive professionally for several years and have a lot of track hours in a wide variety of high performance vehicles. I'm no BJ Baldwin or Robby Gordon and I'm definitely not trying to make myself out to be some self-proclaimed know it all, but I like to think that my personal and career driving experience makes me a better driver than the average Joe. But speaking of those pros, I don't think them or any other successful racer will tell you that you can win a race without driving on the verge of out-of-control.

Once again, we all have opinions and this is only mine. For the record, Cleave, I do generally agree with your opinions in these forums. If you don't mind me asking, what was your reason for choosing a SCREW?

EDIT: ... and seriously guys... strippers? How many of you have ever actually had one stripper in your truck let alone more than one?

First of all, yes, I was trying to stir the pot, no other reason for my post than that, scab guys like to give screw owners shit all the time about performance, it should go both ways.

As for the shorter wheelbase, honestly the difference between a screw getting high centered and a scab getting high centered is probably only an inch or so, likelyhood of encountering the near perfect conditions required for a screw to get stuck and a scab not to is very low, now if you're comparing a screw or scab to a jeep, the difference is massive and it's very likely for you to encounter conditions where either raptor would get stuck but a jeep wouldn't, those are the conditions where I would take arguments for shorter wheelbase into consideration, but we as raptor owners didn't buy our trucks to take them down the jeep trails, so although that particular arguement is valid, it has no place in our discussion, none of us are going to choose a jeep over a raptor.

As for why I chose a screw, my only reason for it was the 36 gallon fuel tank, can you get a fuel cell for your scab to add ten gallons to total capacity, yes, but if you put it in your bed, you've reduced the total area in an already very small bed and back to ultimate performance, having a fuel cell in your bed would raise your center of gravity, reducing cornering ability and increasing the chance of a rollover, I've also never encountered a scab that got considerably better gas mileage, in fact in my experience all raptors get about the same gas mileage, the only differences are caused by difference in driving style, so the extra weight must not have as large an effect as everyone believes

Another thing that's nice about the screw is the shear amount of space in the back seat, put the seats up and I'm pretty sure there's more total area back there than there is in the bed up to the top of the bed rails, if I wanted to I'm pretty sure I could fit a full set of wheels and tires back there and still have space for everything needed for camping

Basically my screw is the optimum setup for a raptor for me, can a scab perform better off the showroom floor, yes, but modifying a screw to keep up with a scab is a lot easier than adding space to the inside of a scab and adding a fuel cell to it, especially for us Californians who have to obtain carb executive order approved fuel cells for our trucks to keep them street legal

Last edited: