Sand or Baja mode for Silver Lake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msu50000

Reaction score
2020 SCrew

I know this has been asked a few times as far as what the differences are between Sand and Baja modes. Looking for anyone's experience at Silver Lake, it's all soft sand and last year I used Baja exclusively with all TC off. It was good, but didn't blow me away. Would sand be any better?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with Baja mode.

I would try all modes out next time you are there. See which hooks better for the terrain you are in. If it is truly a Raptor, it might be fine in normal mode. Because it's basically a trophy truck.

OP
OP
M

msu50000

Reaction score
1000000953.jpg

LOL, this was last year, bone stock. Played around in sand/snow mode today and then just "normal" in 4h with all TC off. Think I like how normal behaves, switch to Baja at the drag area.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Normal, sport and weather modes are all street oriented, full nannies, traction and stability control. M&S and Baja delay the intervention of nannies significantly. M&S has a higher shift point than sport mode, so gear holding is more aggressive, and more predictable off road. The last thing you want is Normal trying to stuff you into a higher gear than needed the instant you let off the throttle.

M&S is my go to off road, mainly because I don’t have a lot of high speed venues available to me, but Baja shift points are high, and if you are going for speed, baja is the choice, but for my money M&S is a great all around choice.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve found baja mode to have really high RPM’s and would rather just be in 4 wheel regular with traction control off. I haven’t got it in some really deep sand just yet but please let us know which mode you felt was best for deep sand. I do a lot of that driving coming up and I’ll play around with it also. I spend longer times off the grid so saving some gas by not constantly being at 2500rpms or more I bet can add up in gas savings. I do love Baja mode though.