Safe fording depth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to challenge the pic and I hope I didn’t actually offend anybody.

You guys made me feel a little guilty, so I just made a $100 donation in direct Hurricane Harvey relief via eBay/Paypal.

And yes I did Photoshop the transaction ID off the pic…HAHA

I’m done chiming in about the picture now!!!

Good for you! Based on your generosity I must've been mistaken - that water is clearly 18" deep :biggrin:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual per Ford:

Water

If you must drive through high water, drive slowly. Traction or brake capability may be limited.

When driving through water, determine the depth and avoid water higher than the bottom of the hubs. If the ignition system gets wet, your vehicle may stall.

Once through water, always try the brakes. Wet brakes do not stop your vehicle as effectively as dry brakes. Drying improves by applying light pressure to the brake pedal while moving slowly.

Note: Driving through deep water may damage the transmission. If the front or rear axle is submerged in water, the axle lubricant and power transfer unit lubricant should be checked and changed if necessary.

Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1679348&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

Anyone know if there are breather hoses on the axles and transmission? If so then there could be a way to extend them up higher to allow the Raptor to ride through deeper water without ingesting the liquid (this is a frequent mod on Jeeps).

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this picture doesn’t look right?

Keep in mind that this truck is plowing forward many thousands of pounds of water and…

They can drive through water that is 4.5 feet high, but the hood and windshield are able to remain totally dry.

The water being plowed forward and lifted at least a foot or two is calm and dead flat.

That kid is able to casually ride out the window without hanging on with his hands while the truck is in Bulldozer mode.

The guy on the phone is just standing and not hanging on or even leaning forward against the truck.

For some reason the water level looks 18” at the rear wheel to me.

I do know that the devastation in Texas is legit, just not sure about this photo!

If I recall my physics lessons from many moons ago, the truck is creating a bow wave (pressure wave) which displaces water from around the truck. This creates a temporary trough at the sides and rear of the truck with a lower level than the water around the pressure wave. If he slows down, the bow wave would reduce and the water level around the truck would be closer to the surrounding water level. If he speeds up, the water will crest up over the hood.

10d76b30996372d518b7eb8854d28cff.jpg

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I recall my physics lessons from many moons ago, the truck is creating a bow wave (pressure wave) which displaces water from around the truck. This creates a temporary trough at the sides and rear of the truck with a lower level than the water around the pressure wave. If he slows down, the bow wave would reduce and the water level around the truck would be closer to the surrounding water level. If he speeds up, the water will crest up over the hood.

10d76b30996372d518b7eb8854d28cff.jpg

Yes. This☝️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual per Ford:

Water

If you must drive through high water, drive slowly. Traction or brake capability may be limited.

When driving through water, determine the depth and avoid water higher than the bottom of the hubs. If the ignition system gets wet, your vehicle may stall.

Once through water, always try the brakes. Wet brakes do not stop your vehicle as effectively as dry brakes. Drying improves by applying light pressure to the brake pedal while moving slowly.

Note: Driving through deep water may damage the transmission. If the front or rear axle is submerged in water, the axle lubricant and power transfer unit lubricant should be checked and changed if necessary.

Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1679348&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

Anyone know if there are breather hoses on the axles and transmission? If so then there could be a way to extend them up higher to allow the Raptor to ride through deeper water without ingesting the liquid (this is a frequent mod on Jeeps).

Raptor is 32". Read the supplement. No breather hoses so either mod or check for water afterwards.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor is 32". Read the supplement. No breather hoses so either mod or check for water afterwards.

RTS HA HA

From the Supplement:

Water Wading

Your vehicle is designed to operate in water depths up to 32 inches (810 millimeters). However, as the water depth increases, vehicle speed must be reduced to avoid potential vehicle damage.

• Always determine the depth before attempting a water crossing.
• Proceed slowly and avoid splashing water any more than is necessary.
• Be aware that obstacles and debris may be beneath the water’s surface.
• Keep the doors fully closed during the water crossing.
• Upon completion of the water crossing, slowly drive a short distance and check the brakes for full effectiveness.

Driving Hints

Refer to chart below for the maximum allowable speeds when driving through
water.

Note: Failure to follow the recommended speeds may result in vehicle damage.

Water Depth Maximum Allowable Vehicle Speed
6 in (150 mm) 40 mph (65 km/h)
8 in (200 mm) 31 mph (50 km/h)
10 in (250 mm) 19 mph (30 km/h)
12 in (300 mm) 8 mph (12 km/h)
18 to 32 in (450 mm to 810 mm) 4 mph (7 km/h)

Reverse
Up to 30 in (760 mm) Less than 6 mph (10 km/h)

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Raptor is 32". No breather hoses so either mod

What type of breathers are there on the axles and transmission - do you know?

Does anyone know of a way to mod them to extend the breather (typically done using hose) to help keep water out?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 2012 just has the typical plastic vent cap on the end of the hoses and they are routed up near the master cylinder on the gen1, and the rear diff vent hose connects to a nipple underneath the bed floor. I'd suspect its similar on the gen2..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc