Rubbing or binding sound on stock 2019 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with @FordTechOne , but it also sounds like 2 problems, like your brakes are grabbing near to being stopped. I would try cleaning and spraying fluid film on the springs first, I know the man above doesn't agree with that though, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Drone

Patriot Drone

Reaction score
It appears to occur as the leaf springs move; dirt and contamination between the leaf packs can result in noise.

Jack the rear end up off the ground, pressure wash all of the leaf packs, and then dry with compressed air and re-evaluate.

Is this issue specific to Raptors? I’ve never had this issue with other F150s

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this issue specific to Raptors? I’ve never had this issue with other F150s

No, it can happen to any vehicle with leaf springs.

As @CoronaRaptor mentioned, your brakes may be chattering a low speed as well. As far as applying Fluid Film, Ford doesn’t recommend it since it can attract dirt, but if others have had success than I’m glad to hear it!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
a point of clarification

Do you most prominently notice this
1) on the brakes
2) in reverse
3) on the brakes while in reverse

I’ve got close to 42k on the clock and have noticed a very slight noise coming from the rear under those conditions. I’ve not gone as far as to mount a go pro but been wondering about it. For me, the issue is not consistent or 100% repeatable so right now it’s tough to replicate.

OP
OP
Patriot Drone

Patriot Drone

Reaction score
a point of clarification

Do you most prominently notice this
1) on the brakes
2) in reverse
3) on the brakes while in reverse

I’ve got close to 42k on the clock and have noticed a very slight noise coming from the rear under those conditions. I’ve not gone as far as to mount a go pro but been wondering about it. For me, the issue is not consistent or 100% repeatable so right now it’s tough to replicate.

To clarify, this issue typically happens when backing down my driveway and usually only the first time doing so each day. I do not have to be on the brakes to get the same noise. I have not noticed it at any other time than the first time each morning. Seems like it could be cold weather related but I have only had the truck two weeks myself ...so I'm really not sure.

OP
OP
Patriot Drone

Patriot Drone

Reaction score
I added another clip from this morning to the end of the video, showing the passenger side. I have cleaned and dry lubricated the leaf springs as well.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
To me it seems like most of the noise is from the braking. I wasn’t able to see much but it sounds like when you brake there is some kind of bind going on. I mean sure, the leafs are noisy, but they all are.

starting about 1:32, as you’re applying the brakes, you can see the leaf jerking upwards and groaning in protest, I’ve not seen other videos, but it doesn’t look good to me. Once you’re in forward motion, the noise is just squeaking.