RPG Stage 4+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have the stage 4 plus, the Fox 3.0 front and back?

I have the Stage 3 and love it, I am considering completing it but want to know if it is worth the money as the shocks are very expensive, will it be that much more noticible than the Stage 3' is the ride that much better that it warrants the high price of this upgrade?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love it. But also be aware of my post on FOX's page regarding the maintenance.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f191/fox-3-0-shock-settings-maintenance-16004/

Not only was it a birthday gift Birthday gift for a Raptor owner?, but I had it installed Friday night at the TRR earlier this year. Friday, my friends and I drove the course with the truck stock. Saturday we drove it with the stage 4. Unbelievable! I noticed an instant difference just on the ride back to camp on the ranch road. The suspension really sucks up everything in the road.

As you know, the rear shocks are adjustable and you can easily adjust them yourself with an allen wrench and a 9/16" box end wrench. Just a 1/2 turn and you can feel a difference. On the rear, there are three tuning bypass ports. Two for upward travel and one for rebound. You only have to adjust two of them to set it how you like it. Corey can recommend a tuning based on what you hold in your truck bed and what kind of driver you are. I have mine set up for road / highway travel for now. But can change it for some off road fun if I need to. Or just set it and forget it. I never thought I'd jump my raptor, but with the stage 4, there is no worries and it really gives you the confidence to put the foot on the pedal and have a bit of fun.

Are you thinking of also going with the Tie rods and UCA? Do you have stock wheels or aftermarket? Larger tires? If you keep going, you will eventually be changing out your front drive shafts too...

Also, waiting for Hock to chime in. He has considered these upgrades too and has a very knowlegeable stand point.

Joe

OP
OP
willis68

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it. But also be aware of my post on FOX's page regarding the maintenance.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f191/fox-3-0-shock-settings-maintenance-16004/

Not only was it a birthday gift Birthday gift for a Raptor owner?, but I had it installed Friday night at the TRR earlier this year. Friday, my friends and I drove the course with the truck stock. Saturday we drove it with the stage 4. Unbelievable! I noticed an instant difference just on the ride back to camp on the ranch road. The suspension really sucks up everything in the road.

As you know, the rear shocks are adjustable and you can easily adjust them yourself with an allen wrench and a 9/16" box end wrench. Just a 1/2 turn and you can feel a difference. On the rear, there are three tuning bypass ports. Two for upward travel and one for rebound. You only have to adjust two of them to set it how you like it. Corey can recommend a tuning based on what you hold in your truck bed and what kind of driver you are. I have mine set up for road / highway travel for now. But can change it for some off road fun if I need to. Or just set it and forget it. I never thought I'd jump my raptor, but with the stage 4, there is no worries and it really gives you the confidence to put the foot on the pedal and have a bit of fun.

Are you thinking of also going with the Tie rods and UCA? Do you have stock wheels or aftermarket? Larger tires? If you keep going, you will eventually be changing out your front drive shafts too...

Also, waiting for Hock to chime in. He has considered these upgrades too and has a very knowlegeable stand point.

Joe

Right now the wheels and tires are stock, I will be changing them eventually and yes if I go this route I will go the rest of the way with the Tie Rods and UCA later, I read that you went from stock to stage 4,

Anyone on this forum go from stage 3 to 4?

Last edited:

tbonemcniel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking about Stage 4 as well.

My question is this. I don't really do the hardcore jumping and whatnot that some of y'all do. I understand that the Stage 4 type suspension will help in that area significantly, but, I don't really do that.

What I do drive on, is A LOT of hard packed dirt county/oilfield lease roads. A few are smoothish, but most are washed, rutted, potholed, with that wavy effect dirt roads tend to get.

How does a Stage 4 type suspension ride and handle compared to stock on those types of conditions?

My Raptor is already the best riding/handling truck I've driven on those roads, but then again, I've always driven big 3/4 4x4's or 1 ton 4x4 Duallys on those roads in the past.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't been on roads like h that yet. And probably won't until I head back east for the holidays.

Joe

OP
OP
willis68

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My question is this. I don't really do the hardcore jumping and whatnot that some of y'all do. I understand that the Stage 4 type suspension will help in that area significantly, but, I don't really do that.

What I do drive on, is A LOT of hard packed dirt county/oilfield lease roads. A few are smoothish, but most are washed, rutted, potholed, with that wavy effect dirt roads tend to get.

How does a Stage 4 type suspension ride and handle compared to stock on those types of conditions?

My Raptor is already the best riding/handling truck I've driven on those roads, but then again, I've always driven big 3/4 4x4's or 1 ton 4x4 Duallys on those roads in the past.

I will say that after the Stage 3 the bumps and roads are a night and day difference, I wonder how much more the Fox 3.0 front and back would help

dmarriott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be able to compare stage 3 & 4 but i have had stage 4 for about 3 month and it is noticable better the stock. I did do UCA & Tie Rods as well and the truck feels much more planted. Stock was great don't get me wrong but if you really going to push this truck & do 55mph + in the rough stuff and catch some air stage 4 where you'll end up anyways. The guys at RPG dailed the shocks in for me and i haven't messed with them. I'm much more confident in pushing thru the big hits at speed with the upgraded shocks & frame/bump stops out back.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The great thing about Stg 4 is you don't need to jump in order to get the full benefits from the system. The ride is improved in every way imaginable. Graded roads, washed out trails and ruts are handled with ease. The system feels powerful with lots of damping power, but not stiff in any way. The progression of the shocks is spot on and the truck just feels way more planted.

It's also important to remember you have tons of adjustments in the set up. The front shock bodies are threaded so you have infinite pre-load adjustability with in the threaded section and the rears are external by-pass so you can turn the tubes until your hearts content.

Hope this helps.

tbonemcniel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had gone from wanting Stage 4, to Stage 3, and now back to Stage 4.

The thing that concerns me is 10k shock rebuilds. Truck is my DD, and drives down rough co roads and oilfield lease roads daily. but I only have a limited amount of time off, most of which I prefer to spend it tweaking and racing my drag racing toy.