Roush Raptor Spun a Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will never tax the tranny with the Roush kit, unless you cook the tranny fluid.
With the 47 lbs. injectors and the Twin 65mm TB, you'll only get 500 RWHP and 520 RWHP max with 93 octane on a cold day.

Honestly, I wouldn't do headers, I'm around 725-750 at the crank depending what drivetrain % loss you want to use.
In any case, I get 561 RWHP with full stock exhaust, stock tranny, for the past 8 years.
Whipple's Ford Tuner says I would be around 580 RWHP with headers.
The one bigger benefit is the Torque would increase another 60 ft-lbs. to the wheels.

But still, for the money the little increase in power, the extra noise,
and daily drivability is compromised slightly due to the position of the front O2s in the collector of the headers.
Just doesn't make me want to do headers.
Now, if I had money burning a hole in my pocket then yes, I would do it.

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, any other downsides to a forged bottom end? I want to be able to get in and drive this truck anywhere. Also my next worry after this is done is the transmission, what can they handle? I can’t imagine it’s gonna last forever at 700 (crank) hp.

I know the labor would be the same for the headers I was adding in the purchase price, American Racing headers are $2100 on their website. I know the labor for the oil pump gears will be extra though.

I don’t mind the truck being a little louder but I don’t want it to drone.

I’ll have him dyno tune the truck, he’s definitely familiar with these trucks and late model mustangs and super duty’s.

You won't hear any piston slap anyways if you put headers on the truck lol.

I've gone the forged route on past builds. If the builder is good, you're good.

The lightning in my profile pic has ~130k on a forged shortblock that has trickflow heads/headers and at one point 19-20lb of boost on a 2.6 kenne bell. Since dropped it to 16lb of boost.

Also have done a 5.0 stroker short block on a supercharged Mach 1(2004)

They are as reliable as when they were stock. No issues if I had to drive from Florida to Virginia in a day.

The transmission on these trucks are stout even with boost. Just watch the temps when you get on it.

We had an offorad outing years ago where we had a guy with a whipple going too hard for too long and didn't check the trans temp. Got over 240 F for a bit and he damaged a few internal parts in there.

OP
OP
Jross993

Jross993

Reaction score
Thanks guys, just waiting on the engine builder to get it all on paper so I can see everything and then I’ll make a decision!

OP
OP
Jross993

Jross993

Reaction score
The plot thickens...I spoke to my Ford dealer and they said they can get a long block in 2-3 weeks plus 1 more week for install. They said the warranty is still valid with the supercharger, just doesn’t cover the supercharger.

I also spoke to Livernois a couple days ago and they said I could send my block to them and it would take a month and a half to build once they receive my motor.

The engine builder where the truck is now is saying the complete opposite, Livernois won’t take my block and they’re 6 months out at least. He also says a Ford long block is months out. I’m having second thoughts about this guy. Since I can get a warranty from Ford I think that’s the way I’m going to go.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The plot thickens...I spoke to my Ford dealer and they said they can get a long block in 2-3 weeks plus 1 more week for install. They said the warranty is still valid with the supercharger, just doesn’t cover the supercharger.

I also spoke to Livernois a couple days ago and they said I could send my block to them and it would take a month and a half to build once they receive my motor.

The engine builder where the truck is now is saying the complete opposite, Livernois won’t take my block and they’re 6 months out at least. He also says a Ford long block is months out. I’m having second thoughts about this guy. Since I can get a warranty from Ford I think that’s the way I’m going to go.
Yeah, if the guy is lying to you about the basic stuff, makes you wonder what else he would lie about. Just go with your gut feeling or what's in your head "looonnnggg bblllloooooccckkkk"

Ford-6.2L-Boss-Engine-002.jpg

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer is the way I would go!!!
I had to put in a reman when my OEM oil pump gears went, not even a year with the supercharger.
Still going strong, 30,000+ miles 7 years (I have as many hours as someone with 80,000 highway miles)

But the warranty I would question, not everything will be covered on the engine with a supercharger.
Like if you throw a rod or something like that, it won't. Cam phaser and sensors, yes.

Also double check that the Long block is for the Raptor, cams are different for the 6.2L depending on which vehicle it is.

Just tell your guy, I'm sorry but I can't not pass up a Ford warranty.

Gas Engines and Transmissions Limited Warranty Statement (ford.com)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jross993

Jross993

Reaction score
Yeah that's the final straw to sway my decision, I'm going with the dealer definitely. I know there will be limitations with the warranty but if I can get a warranty in place when the motor is installed I'll deal with the hurdles if I ever have to make a claim. I gave them my VIN # so I really hope they can order the right block.

The builder has already taken a long time to do just the basic stuff - take a look at the truck and get a work order written up (still haven't gotten that one). He's had the truck 3 weeks already...red flags going off!

So now next question for you guys, headers or no? Are my wife and young kids gonna hate the truck if it has headers? Anyway to quiet it back down a bit? I think I already know the answer but I still kinda want them. Plus with all the money I save from not building a motor they're basically free!!! (Girl logic)

OP
OP
Jross993

Jross993

Reaction score
What setup do you have? Thankfully my only neighbors are a horse farm so I’m not worried about cold start.