Rodents chewing through wiring harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

For the second time in 6 months something has chewed through my wiring harness, costing me thousands and weeks without my truck. Is this a known issue? Is Ford using soy based wiring like other companies? Everyone I know finds this unbelievable so there has to be something to it. No other cars in this same driveway have ever had an issue, and my truck has twice in 6 months. I got it January so it hasn't been here super long.
I had a huge problem with squirrels at my house, they were destroying everything. I decided to take matters into my own hands with one of my pellet guns. I have easily dispensed over 200 squirrels in roughly 2 seasons. My neighbor was wondering why he never sees any squirrels anymore, I just changed the subject

G_Dawg

Reaction score
Guys,

For the second time in 6 months something has chewed through my wiring harness, costing me thousands and weeks without my truck. Is this a known issue? Is Ford using soy based wiring like other companies? Everyone I know finds this unbelievable so there has to be something to it. No other cars in this same driveway have ever had an issue, and my truck has twice in 6 months. I got it January so it hasn't been here super long.

I have never heard of soy wiring. That is good to know and I'll have to read up on it. I had something (mice or squirrels or ?) chew up the insulation on the firewall of my Ram and also the sleeve around the battery. Luckily no chewed wires that I know of.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have a friend who parked his Chevy trk in his garage for a couple of days.....his 2 young Doberman's sleep in there also....got in started to drive away and brake pedal goes almost all the way to the floor. Seems his dogs had been chewing on the rear flex brake lines...

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never heard of soy wiring. That is good to know and I'll have to read up on it. I had something (mice or squirrels or ?) chew up the insulation on the firewall of my Ram and also the sleeve around the battery. Luckily no chewed wires that I know of.

The soy based wiring is referring to the jacketing, not the conductor.

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my parents had that problem with field mice.

I think they resolved it by putting peppercorn into a pantyhose stalking and tying it off somewhere in the engine compartment. The smell deters them from coming back.

Nood1es

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen twice in my X5. 2nd time I dug deeper and the mofos made a nest and put 6 squirrel pups inside the bay. All over night! Took some cat hair and parked at a diff spot in parking lot and it stopped.

I took the babies n nest n laid it in a nearby bush. Crazy squirrels.

GutweinMCP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have rodent damage frequently at the dealership because of the wiring being soy based now. We have had good luck with wrapping the wires it in rodent tape. There are several brands Honda packages it and sells it as their own too. Part # 4019-2317.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No squirrels,no rats,no mice, no chipmunks,no snakes,no nothing although every now and then she brings me a present to prove she’s on the job. My sweet girl cat is way cheaper than repairs.