RoadMaster active suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruce7105

Reaction score
I've had these on my 17 after the first time I towed my 6000 lb trailer and didn't like the sag of the truck even with a WDH it felt like I was on the shock bump stops. So i put a set of these on and they work great I tow level a few times a year. When I tow or have a load I crank it up and when not I turn it down with no ill affects in fact it i think maybe it helps with wheel hop. I first tried to find a air bag setup but with the travel these trucks have air bags will bottom out and tear apart with any heavy off-road runs. I've done day runs with no problems but if your going to do multi day or hammer you truck really hard they are not hard to remove and put back when needed but I've never felt the need to remove them and I've beat on them pretty good at times. Everyone is different I didn't want to make a bunch of permanent changes to my suspension just to tow a few times a year. Just saying it works for me might not work for others.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These guys ran them and had some great comments and report on them. If I wasn’t mistaken. Some pros and cons to them.

@TXRaptor and @Swaddict

I installed them on my 2018 with Deaver +3s and they would not stay on when driving on normal roads. The extra arc of the Deaver +3s (no rear blocks) made them pop off at the top of the leaf spring eye at the rear.

Active Suspension Raptor Issue.png

I followed all of their installation instructions to the letter and talked to them on the phone before I bought them. Since I called them and they knew what I was trying to do, they gave me a full refund.

As a side note, when I had them cranked down for carrying a load, they rode very rough compared to my Deavers, so I was not planning to leave them on all the time. Once they popped off and sounded like a shotgun blast under my truck for the second time, I decided they were not worth it for me.

Others have used them on stock suspension Raptors without issues.

7GenTex

Reaction score
I just installed these (3611) on my '17 SCAB for travel trailer duty (#500 tongue and #4,500 +/- trailer weight) and was a bit surprised with an unhitched 1 1/2" rear rise using the white (thin) spacer. Truck is all stock - rear went from 41" to 42 1/2" at the top of the rear fenderwells.

Followed instructions to the letter. Believe the step of lowering the jack to just support the axle after the tires are off and the front leaf eyes are supported really sets up some preload - even with the white spacer........? Rode really good around the block..I'll report back after some miles - trailer is still 6 weeks out.

Last edited:

7GenTex

Reaction score
Roadmaster update. RAS set with the white space (20% - of what?) and it works great. With #525 tongue weight and around #4,250 loaded trailer weight - squat is minimal - also use a E2 Fastaway WD hitch - handles and feels great.

ORTrux

Reaction score
I've heard it's a certainty that these will compromise the suspension performance somewhat if you're really hammering offroad. Of course, the average Raptor spends maybe 1% of it's life doing so - so whether or not that's a concern to someone is up to them. It's probably a pretty good trade-off for a daily and you can always take them off for the annual desert run.

I first tried to find a air bag setup but with the travel these trucks have air bags will bottom out and tear apart with any heavy off-road runs.

There's a setup available that replaces rear bag mounts with cradles that the air bags sit in so that when they're deflated they aren't actually attached to the axle. I think technically you still lose a tiny bit of uptravel but it's less than the droop the other direction and appropriately mounted bump stops probably alleviate that. Probably the setup I'd go with if I was towing something heavy regularly.