Reverse perch, am i the first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
So I completed my mid perch reversal yesterday.

WELCOME! HAhaaaa.

So how many miles did you put on at mid perch. I only had my truck off road once at mid perch and it was on my land creeping around and it was a much more jarring / side to side tossing in the cab, a rougher ride than my old school FX4 I had before the Raptor.

BDRAG

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did 1600 miles at mid perch. I enjoyed the off road performance but not so
much that I was willing to sacrifice my on road handling. Stock perch rides like a couch around town and still does better than any stock truck and most of the rag tag Bro prerunners running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
I did 1600 miles at mid perch. I enjoyed the off road performance but not so
much that I was willing to sacrifice my on road handling. Stock perch rides like a couch around town and still does better than any stock truck and most of the rag tag Bro prerunners running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaaaaaHAaaa. EXACTLY! Well said.......

I wish I had the cash to do a 4 WHEEL set up but that's down the road. Atleast being in the vicinity of TMX, they have just about ONE of EVERY set up in or around on a Saturday and I can get a chance to feel the real deal shock packages.

There is a gathering out at a local off road coarse in 3 weeks that the TMX boyzz have a hand in with and I am gonna try and get some rides in some different set up trucks. But for now I am HAPPY again at OEM setting...

I would like to see what a mid perch truck, medium build truck and a full blown truck would do on a STREET COARSE! HAHaaaa. I kinda think a STOCK Raptor would win.

BDRAG

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be more and more guys speaking up that they didnt like the mid perch. And here I thought I was the only one and everyone looked at my like I was crazy when I moved mine back to stock!

Also a word of thought on the progressive springs. I do think thats a better alternative then just the mid perch, however again the loss of down travel is still a factor IMO. The added lift height is not magic and without a longer shock to accommodate for the lift your still limiting your down travel. The real answer is a new shock and spring combo

gbrown27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont do much offloading and when I do, I never get over 50 so Im considering the ready lift billet spacer and going back down to bottom perch. I know its a big no no on here but I may try it

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
can you post link to progressive springs?

just had mine rebuilt and fronts to mid perch.

After stock shock rebuild my truck was sooooo much better on and off road. when you drive the truck as a daily driver you don't notice the creep toward the ride you get with worn shocks. Fox lists rebuild mileage 10000 with lots of off road I think.

Last edited:

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have also considered going down to first perch from mid perch. I would not want the nose down stance though.
I believe that adjusting perch steps, you are changing your by-bass port relationship to valve piston in the cylinder. That would explain why harder braking gets you back into the by-pass zone. I really want to crack my fronts open and see what the relationship is in travel for the by-pass hole/s. If it is like the rears, changing your ride hight changes your piston to by-pass zone.
I have changed my rears to a progressive position sensitive by-pass in the rears and like it so far.

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also considered going down to first perch from mid perch. I would not want the nose down stance though.
I believe that adjusting perch steps, you are changing your by-bass port relationship to valve piston in the cylinder. That would explain why harder braking gets you back into the by-pass zone. I really want to crack my fronts open and see what the relationship is in travel for the by-pass hole/s. If it is like the rears, changing your ride hight changes your piston to by-pass zone.
I have changed my rears to a progressive position sensitive by-pass in the rears and like it so far.

Good point as this was another subject I was going to bring up about the internal valving being changed with the perch mod....

Reaction score
Awesome...! Im glad to see and read about the lowering to stock and your description is spot on about over driving the rear suspension..Of all the short course and desert setups I've done you have nailed it exact....WHEN YOU CHANGE THE SUSPENSION SETUP AT ANY CORNER OF THE VEHICLE YOU MUST ADJUST ALL TO REACT WITHIN THE SAME LIMITS.PERIOD. Well written.Now-how can ALL the owners read this and understand that the vehicle you own isn't just an F-150 with cool looks and big shocks......