Reuse TPMS sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crool88

Reaction score
I've never done it personally but that's my plan when my new wheels arrive. Pretty sure its typical to transfer the sensors to the new wheels.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes multiple times on multiple vehicles. The sensors are separate from the valve so they will simply disassemble the valve and sensor and move the sensor to the to the new wheel with a new valve kit

dgilm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, just did this yesterday. If it is on the same vehicle (Gen3 to Gen3), its just a matter of replacing the valve stem. You aren't supposed to reuse these as the seal is broken when you remove them from the wheels. The TPMS sensor unscrews from the valve stem so you only need to buy the stems which are only a few $ each.

JJP023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, just did this yesterday. If it is on the same vehicle (Gen3 to Gen3), its just a matter of replacing the valve stem. You aren't supposed to reuse these as the seal is broken when you remove them from the wheels. The TPMS sensor unscrews from the valve stem so you only need to buy the stems which are only a few $ each.
I am happy to hear that it worked but you dont really know if it will work unless something goes wrong. The part is not expensive enough for me to consider reusing. I am putting my new wheels on tomorrow and will do new TMPS

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am happy to hear that it worked but you dont really know if it will work unless something goes wrong. The part is not expensive enough for me to consider reusing. I am putting my new wheels on tomorrow and will do new TMPS
Maybe but I have done it in close to 20 different wheels and never have I had a problem. BMW, Mercedes, Ford and Land Rover. The sensor is separate from the valve which controls the air which gets replaced. Most sensors are good for about 8-10 years. If you feel the need to replace perfectly good sensors with new ones it’s your money.

Yes same Gen to Gen transfer is needed.

dgilm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS and valve stems are separate.
The TPMS unscrews from the valve stem. The valve stem cannot be reused in a new set of wheels and needs to be replaced. These are only a few dollars each and the TMPS screws into this.

61atryxueyL._AC_SL1000_.png

wakko0o

Reaction score
Thank you for this information. I was wondering the same thing. The issue one may have when replacing these is that some you have to reprogram OR may come defective OR die prematurely due to defect OR even buy a separate tool just to relearn to your vehicles computer. If it works perfectly fine why change it? Just have your tire guy unscrew it and screw it back to a new stem. Again TY

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My understanding is yes you can. I know I ran into a problem moving wheels from Gen 1 to Gen 2 but have been told this should work….

The Gen2 had 2 different part numbers for the TPMS, at least. They used different frequencies, so your scenario is entirely plausible. IIRC, the ’17 had 2 possible TPMS, maybe the 18, but I think after the ’18 or so MY they were the same. I know when I got wheels I had to double check the part number and order up new ones, I went to 6 tires, all rocking TPMS. Typically the spare doesn’t have one stock.

Otherwise, yes, you can repurpose the TPMS to new wheels if you want.