Retrax Allignment Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
@CTK59 Here’s the setup. I’m actually planning on switching it up and going with a bed slide, but will keep the sides the same.
How is the quality on the hydraulic jack, I'm curious because I saw a YouTube video where one guy was stating they were junk as his failed in a short time.

It may have been an old video perhaps when they first started selling them, I dunno.

I've seen many purchase them here on FRF but don't recall any long term users reporting on the quality and reliability.

Thanks, you get the retrax figured out.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't confirmed this, but when purchased mine (Retrax PRO), was told one of the differences between Retrax and Retrax PRO was locking mechanisms on both sides.
I'll let you know. Planning to talk to them tomorrow.

Even if the ONE doesn't come with locking mechanisms on both sides, this amount of movement isn't acceptable in my book...especially since the movement definitely got worse over time. I understand and expect some water to seep through virtually any bed cover, but this causes a visible gap and with the lip on the tailgate, all water that falls on the top of the tailgate when the truck is parked flows into that crack.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the quality on the hydraulic jack, I'm curious because I saw a YouTube video where one guy was stating they were junk as his failed in a short time.

It may have been an old video perhaps when they first started selling them, I dunno.

I've seen many purchase them here on FRF but don't recall any long term users reporting on the quality and reliability.

Thanks, you get the retrax figured out.
Pro Eagle's are top notch. I've only used mine on my truck for maintenance but I did use it in swingarm city to help a guy who tried to jump his Cayenne. RIP literally everything in the front end.

This was the moment in question: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWLokxTp0z7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

BWorkman

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine. Retrax said the non pro version has that problem with our trucks and nothing will fix it. I ended up do a "warranty upgrade" to the pro version. It was $500, but it was worth it. Way more solid and locks on both sides, so it doesn’t retract on the passenger side anymore. Plus I hated opening my rear window cause the sound of the cover bouncing drove me nuts. Also makes it a lifetime warranty vs only a year warranty with the upgrade.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine. Retrax said the non pro version has that problem with our trucks and nothing will fix it. I ended up do a "warranty upgrade" to the pro version. It was $500, but it was worth it. Way more solid and locks on both sides, so it doesn’t retract on the passenger side anymore. Plus I hated opening my rear window cause the sound of the cover bouncing drove me nuts. Also makes it a lifetime warranty vs only a year warranty with the upgrade.
Yea I've read on some F150 posts that that's the same response, already planning to get rid of it.

"Yea we know the design doesn't meet even our own standards, so we'll let you pay for the more expensive version" is not an acceptable response for me.

BWorkman

Reaction score
Yea I've read on some F150 posts that that's the same response, already planning to get rid of it.

"Yea we know the design doesn't meet even our own standards, so we'll let you pay for the more expensive version" is not an acceptable response for me.
I don’t know why they can’t just make the non pro version with the double lock. It has half the parts on it to do so. That would solve the whole issue. Maybe see if they can send you the lock parts off of a pro version. Should bolt right on and fix the whole issue of the passenger side sliding forward.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got back into town and checked mine. I have the ford one. (Retrax Pro XR) and it has a latch on both sides.

6FCB068A-D62F-4E4A-B5B1-20D2D9DEBD9A.jpeg7AB9700D-000F-424A-9EA1-FEA3D03E84B3.jpeg

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retrax gave a kind of BS response this morning that I needed to install the rails closer together, because them not being tight is what allows the passenger side to retract. Sent them another video which I included in the link in the original post for anyone interested.

Mine are installed pretty much as tight as you can go with only 3/16” of total play side to side at the tailgate (so 3/32” of a gap per side). With that tight of a fit, the passenger side still retracts almost an entire 1” and this is only on the passenger side. Definitely not an issue with alignment/install.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Retrax gave a kind of BS response this morning that I needed to install the rails closer together, because them not being tight is what allows the passenger side to retract. Sent them another video which I included in the link in the original post for anyone interested.

Mine are installed pretty much as tight as you can go with only 3/16” of total play side to side at the tailgate (so 3/32” of a gap per side). With that tight of a fit, the passenger side still retracts almost an entire 1” and this is only on the passenger side. Definitely not an issue with alignment/install.
That is some BS - the retrax pro is really good though, I will say that. I actually took mine off yesterday to re weatherstrip the sides and treat the plastic trim with that black stuff.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOLUTION:
So it was incredibly frustrating to get here but Retrax can and will ship you the Pro locking mechanism for free if you have this issue…and if you intelligently bitch enough. The Pro latches on both sides, the One is only on the drivers side.

First off, Retrax is 100% aware this is a problem but can’t really explain how or why it only happens to some units/vehicles. Maybe it’s because I jump my truck? But I digress. What was frustrating is that the initial person I was dealing with in customer service basically said I’m shit out of luck. Their solution was allowing me to pay the difference to upgrade to the Pro which I refuse to pay for because I don’t need or want the aluminum version.

I had to escalate to a guy named Jeremy who finally offered to send me the Pro locking mechanism for free. My argument was basically, “so you know this is an issue, and your way of fixing it is making me pay you more money to upsell me a product I don’t need?” What’s really annoying is that they market the difference between the One and Pro as polycarbonate vs aluminum. They mention in a buried FAQ that the pro locks on both sides, but don’t say anywhere that the One doesn’t or that you might have this issue. So yea, the locks are a big difference between the two as well as the material.

Also annoying that one of the people made me adjust the rails to be out of tolerance. They only allow you to be +/- 1/16” out of square from cab (no adjustment) to tailgate. They told me if I adjust the rails in to squeeze the cover tightly at the tailgate that this would fix the problem. Doing so puts them 1/4” out of square. It did not fix the problem. Had to go through this exercise to prove to them it wouldn’t fix it.