retractable tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shakenbake

Reaction score
sold my last two raptors a while ago (12, 14) and today im the proud owner of a brand new 2019 scab in agate black raptor with the 802a and tech pack. really happy with the price i got as the 19s up here in seattle seem to be dropping to make way for the 20s. pulled of 62k for my truck and as soon as i got behind the wheel its all smiles to the gallon again.

59624588336__893F7CB3-7963-49D8-AA70-573D3E4FB49E.JPG

not going to go nuts with mods like i did before, just want a retractable tonneau cover that works well in both the cold and rain up here in the pnw. ive had bakflip but the past two i purchased i wasnt too impressed long term.

ive been looking at gator and a new vendor, syneticusa. anyone here tried this one yet? any black friday deals to be had at all?

heres the link to the two im thinking about:

syneticusa

gator

any help or feedback would be appreciated. damn it felt great to be back behind the wheel of a raptor again. cant wait to get her dirty. aloha again!

lakebum

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the two covers listed above . I like the look of the Gator, I think I will give it a shot .

May last 2 covers were BAK. Had the hard flip , did not lime the way it rested on the cab when needed to be up. I also had the BAK revolver x2. I liked it, just want to try something different .

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
62 is pretty good. I’ve got a 2017 scab with those packages, tailgate step and appliqué and sunroof. Sticker was 67 but I got it used.

I use the bakflip MX4 because that’s what was on it. I like it fine.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Synetic appears to be a Retrax knock-off from pictures. Looks like they used pictures of a RetraxONE MX from an F-150 for their photos.

As far as retractable covers go, our go-to brand is Retrax. The RetraxONE MX would check the boxes for you. We've got personal experience with them and run them on one of our shop trucks.

If you'd like to explore that setup, please let me know.

OP
OP
shakenbake

shakenbake

Reaction score
im interested. whats the pricing for your model?

Synetic appears to be a Retrax knock-off from pictures. Looks like they used pictures of a RetraxONE MX from an F-150 for their photos.

As far as retractable covers go, our go-to brand is Retrax. The RetraxONE MX would check the boxes for you. We've got personal experience with them and run them on one of our shop trucks.

If you'd like to explore that setup, please let me know.

Gen2Vmax

Reaction score
I went with this, it's a GatorTrax Tonneau Cover. It will let a tiny bit of water in sometimes at the rear, near the edges, but for the most part my stuff stays dry. I guess if you wanted a complete seal you could by some rubber weather stripping to seal it up even further. I like it, it's easy to use and looks great IMO. Decent price too. One thing, you will loose some bed space with most of the retractables, and these are not as easy to remove as a bak flip. I needed another person for the final install to lay it over the bed, otherwise it took me maybe a hour to install.

IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

DaveT

Reaction score
I have the Retrax PowertraxPro MX and would highly recommend it. The Pace Edwards Full Metal Jacket is also very good and I had one on my F150 previously. I expect you would be happy with either one.

Clamhead60

Reaction score
I had a Retrax on a prior truck, great product but it does have its drawbacks. The first is it takes up space in the front of the bed which means less room for hauling things such as motorcycles. The second negative is in cold climates that have a lot of ice and freezing rain mine was a pain to open and close. The lock would get water in it and freeze and ice would work its way into the track slides. i'd have to heat water up then dump in on the cover to free it up. Based on this I would not get one again in cold climates.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What issues did you have the BakFlip? I have had several and they performed extremely well for many years. The cheaper black aluminum version did not look as good as the composite version (BakFlip F1) after several years, but it worked flawlessly.

I did not like the large rectangle box inside my bed when I had the retractable. It always seemed to be in the way when I was carrying large items in the back of my truck. The retractable top also became difficult to open and close over the years. It was still working when I sold the truck, but not nearly as well when new.

I prefer the foldable cover because I can use all of the space underneath the cover. I can open it partially and the extra sections are on top and out of the way. If I need to use the whole bed, I remove it by unscrewing two hand twist nuts and leave the cover in my garage. (easily done with just me and my wife, who is not strong...) This was not possible with the retractable version due to the track rails on the edge of the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc