RELIABLE AIR CONDITIONER FOR TRUCK BED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen these advertised a lot lately. Not as smart as you are probably looking for, but a fairly reasonable solution for at least the cooling part.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
@K9 EXPERT I tagged you in a thread last week that had a fan on top of the bed cap. Did you see that? Seems like that with the creates on 2 different power sources could work.

I probably missed it, but what is the max amount of time the dogs could be left in the truck unattended?

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@K9 EXPERT I tagged you in a thread last week that had a fan on top of the bed cap. Did you see that? Seems like that with the creates on 2 different power sources could work.

I probably missed it, but what is the max amount of time the dogs could be left in the truck unattended?
Yes I saw it, thank you! I contacted RSI Smart Cap about your idea. I was told and subsequently confirmed the cap is assembled in sections. They told me not to cut a hole anywhere in the cap. Honestly, the longest my dogs SHOULD remain inside the cap unattended is about 90 minutes. However, stuff happens when least expected, whether a break down in Phoenix, or me having to go to an emergency room for a dog bite….that actually happens too frequently. Currently I have a Relvco installed to prevent the truck from getting stolen with the dog in the back. I have fans on both crates and the crates locked inside the cap. I am currently having a custom divider manufactured to keep the two dogs separated in the rear passenger compartment…….in other words, I always plan for the worst……probably life experience. I think I am finished with the air conditioner idea, with my OCD personality I would not feel comfortable enough that it would not malfunction. On another note, I wish I did not get the Power Pro option so I can remove my rear seats without it getting exposed to dog teeth. Again, thanks to everyone for their ideas!

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Close cell foam would give "ME" a lot of peace of mind. I would think it would more than Dubble the time it would take for the cap to become dangerous to the dog. Example; no close cell if it took 15 min to become dangerous to the dog. 1nch close cell could bump the time to 30 min 2 inches you might get to 45 min. That is in a completely sealed cap. With all the construction sites that were in your videos. I would think someone sprays close cell.
IDK your cap might be Insulated already. if it is it is probably open cell. I would try to keep the heat out in the first place. Then when you do get cool air it will stay longer.
The only way to know what the real numbers would be in the cap is to have someone do a manual J on it.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I was amazed that nobody has exactly what you need on the market. After understanding the intricacies of your specific needs I understand why you are having trouble. I have used a fabrication shop in years past that would build nearly anything auto related from roll cages to freezers. The owner is my friend and had to close it down because the cost was not sustainable. I can imagine a full fabrication for what you want with redundancy and full digital remote control would need to be a custom fab, my guess is you would be in it at least 50K to have it outsourced.

dh2002

Reaction score
I totally relate to your worst fear, I have it as well. Attached is my 4 year old Malinois. Because I seem to always lose my fab, he is also trained to find it. The guy can also locate and engage a decoy hiding under a haystack inside a completely dark barn. Just for kicks, I taught him to find a quarter on the ground inside a large dog park. I use to work at an agency with 122 dual purpose dogs and I cannot remember one that came close to his ability. His only issues are, if a person stares into his eyes, or try’s to pet him, he will engage without command. It is also difficult to find a decoy to catch him. The dog is not equipment fixated. Consequently , I must manage him inside all public venues.

IMG_4187.jpeg

this is my guy, his name is Coughlin, he was named after my father in law, Sgt John Coughlin who was a member of the Emergency Service Unit and was killed on 9/11. We are part of NYPD ESU,he is certified in criminal apprehension and explosive detection.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 413464

this is my guy, his name is Coughlin, he was named after my father in law, Sgt John Coughlin who was a member of the Emergency Service Unit and was killed on 9/11. We are part of NYPD ESU,he is certified in criminal apprehension and explosive detection.
After I left LE, some cops think I went to the “dark side.” I worked cases for civil and defense attorneys that involved dope, dope dogs and apprehension of suspects in state and federal court. I don’t know how many cases I completed, but I did it in 29 states. During that time and after 30 years in LE, I realized that there are a lot of not so smart cops working the street. I remember thinking that in the near future police dogs used for apprehension will be outlawed. Now California is doing it
https://www.police1.com/k-9/articles/calif-bill-banning-use-of-police-k-9s-for-arrests-crowd-control-passes-1st-vote-Lb6RoPj3hA42lDnN/……..and many will follow. Below is another video I made that addresses the subject.

i haven’t a clue why YouTube placed an age restriction on it.

It is tragic that a few lazy cops can impact so many good cops. This next part may come as a shock, but after I worked many of those cases I realized that probably 20% of police officers lie in court and affidavits, which is the reason I believe the FBI/DOJ knowingly lied in the Trump affidavits.

Last edited:

Zybane

Reaction score
Those black metal bed caps like RSI and RLD get EXTREMELY hot when in direct sunlight. I know, I have one. You'd have to spray in at least an inch of foam insulation in the entire interior of the cap to even have a mobile air conditioner unit be able to keep up. Murphy's law, a system will fail at the worst time and when under the most strain (A/C unit unattended in high heat).

I assume you will be idling the truck and using the Pro-Power On Board to power the A/C? I'm not sure if I'd rely on that. (my dogs are in the back seat with the truck A/C running), 30 minutes max.

I use this:

and Ring dash cam looking at my two GSD's with a thermometer in view:

Then I set my phone alarm to check camera every ten minutes as a two tier safety setup.

Of course all this relies on LTE so never leave your dogs alone in areas with no LTE signal.

Also the F150's have this stupid economy max idle vehicle setting that will automatically turn off the truck after 30 minutes. I haven't use my Pro-Power On Board enough to see if that over-rides it. That slider turns back on after you start your truck. I'll have to look into Forscan to see if one can disable that crap.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those black metal bed caps like RSI and RLD get EXTREMELY hot when in direct sunlight. I know, I have one. You'd have to spray in at least an inch of foam insulation in the entire interior of the cap to even have a mobile air conditioner unit be able to keep up. Murphy's law, a system will fail at the worst time and when under the most strain (A/C unit unattended in high heat).

I assume you will be idling the truck and using the Pro-Power On Board to power the A/C? I'm not sure if I'd rely on that. (my dogs are in the back seat with the truck A/C running), 30 minutes max.

I use this:

and Ring dash cam looking at my two GSD's with a thermometer in view:

Then I set my phone alarm to check camera every ten minutes as a two tier safety setup.

Of course all this relies on LTE so never leave your dogs alone in areas with no LTE signal.

Also the F150's have this stupid economy max idle vehicle setting that will automatically turn off the truck after 30 minutes. I haven't use my Pro-Power On Board enough to see if that over-rides it. That slider turns back on after you start your truck. I'll have to look into Forscan to see if one can disable that crap.
Zybane, thank you sooooo very much for the attachments!! I am not a tech savvy person, would you mind explaining how easy, or difficult, both devices are to install, connect and set up? What is an OBD-II port? How are they powered and is the cord with the camera long enough to reach the rear of the truck? I would like to aim it inside the truck bed from a place near the tailgate. See attached pic of my crates. Can I simultaneously use two cameras, one as an actual dash cam and one for the dogs? I am extremely interested in both devices and appreciate your assistance.