Recovery Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Hmmm, I just bought a Warn hitch reciever w/ shackle. It says "WARN" and "USA" on the part that slides into the receiver and "WLL4-3/4T" "WARN" "3/4" on the shackle. The "WARN" is even smeard with red paint to make the stamped leatering stand out. The shackle pin reads "XY1OHS". It all appears hot dip galvanized. I got it off of E-Bay for around $47.00 - I think. I don't recall the load rating.

The important thing is that the shackle is stamped with a Working Load Limit - "WLL". The shackles you have to watch out for are the ones with an unknown / unspecified load rating.

The receiver hitch portion of mine did have USA stamped on it as well, but the shackle that came with it sounds just like yours and was just like the two extras I ordered which had "Made in China" on the package.

steve_r2

Reaction score
Interesting to see what everyone has or uses.
I have a couple of ideas that might make sense if anyone can get hold of these bits :
a) A bridal .... Use this to attach to both tow points when doing a recovery. It helps not to stress the vehicle in one area and distributes the force of a snatch.
b) Dyneema rope shackles..... Used in sailing usually and have different strength ratings. I use ones which are rated to 11 tonnes each. These are far safer IMHO than using metal shackles. Ask yourself this......if a shackle does break what would you prefer to fly around at a huge velocity ? I would prefer neither but rope any day for me.
c) There is an Oz company called Bushranger which do recovery gear again with different rated snatch ropes. A lot cheaper than ARB ( you do pay for the name a lot of the time) but well made and durable. Most of the guys I wheel with use these but as with all recovery equipment it needs looking after. I replace my snatch rope every 18 months on safety grounds as they get used quite a bit out in the dunes here.
Hope this helps a little.
Steve

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting to see what everyone has or uses.
I have a couple of ideas that might make sense if anyone can get hold of these bits :
a) A bridal .... Use this to attach to both tow points when doing a recovery. It helps not to stress the vehicle in one area and distributes the force of a snatch.
b) Dyneema rope shackles..... Used in sailing usually and have different strength ratings. I use ones which are rated to 11 tonnes each. These are far safer IMHO than using metal shackles. Ask yourself this......if a shackle does break what would you prefer to fly around at a huge velocity ? I would prefer neither but rope any day for me.
c) There is an Oz company called Bushranger which do recovery gear again with different rated snatch ropes. A lot cheaper than ARB ( you do pay for the name a lot of the time) but well made and durable. Most of the guys I wheel with use these but as with all recovery equipment it needs looking after. I replace my snatch rope every 18 months on safety grounds as they get used quite a bit out in the dunes here.
Hope this helps a little.
Steve

Hey Steve, good to have you here.

Any chance you'll post some links to that stuff? It'd be helpful for us foreigners to see it :)

steve_r2

Reaction score
Hi MMD,
Here are some links for you all:
Kinetic Bridals: Do not have a specific one as there are a few companies that do them however here is the one I use
Welcome to Special Industrial Supplies | Special Industrial Supplies 4x4 Accessories, Quick Fist, Lifting Equipment, Recovery Equipment, Webbing, Fall Protection

Liros Dyneema Rope Shackles: A group of us ordered directly from the manufacturer cost including shipping was approx $60 for a pair. The shackles are on page 16 of the catalogue go for the 10 tonne + rated (should say that the black shackles are now silver). These are subjected to far greater forces when used on a yacht than we can ever do buy using them for a recovery.
The loop that goes around the rope just above the knot is formed by the rope passing down itself, like when you form a splice/eye in plasma rope. It passes all the way down so that both ends of the rope are included in the knot, this stops it possibly pulling undone in a heavy pull. To undo the shackle you simply open out the loop by pulling the rope out of the centre of itself and slipping the enlarged loop over the knot. A clever design that is easy to use.
http://www.lirosropes.se/pdf/XTREME Catalogue.pdf

Bushranger Gear: Bushranger 4WD Gear - Most Wanted

And one I forgot to add is Maxtrax excellent bits of kit which has distributors in the USA. See the vids on their site ....they are not cheap but they are good.
MAXTRAX: Vehicle Extraction & Recovery

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks very much for posting the links - I'll check them out.

Next ime I'm headed to Dubai can I give you a call and maybe connect with you when I'm there? Are you a native UAE'er?

steve_r2

Reaction score
Thanks very much for posting the links - I'll check them out.

Next ime I'm headed to Dubai can I give you a call and maybe connect with you when I'm there? Are you a native UAE'er?

By all means MMD. I'm British not a local :) But I have been living here for just over 4 years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc