Rear bumper protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miamibert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needless to say, Miami drivers suck. I added this "step" for a little protection and can be used to loop a tow strap through it without D rings or hooks. It's pretty solid.IMG_0991 copy.jpgIMG_0992 copy.jpg

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Miamibert That is probably cast. I have seen them break. It was a smittybilt that I saw broke. You would be better to get a clevis off a hummer that straddles the 2.5 inch tow hitch tube and use a grade 5 to secure the tow hitch

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^What @dewalt said. That step is almost certainly cast, and it'll shatter like glass upon heavy impact. And it's only 6 or 7 inches wide, providing absolutely no protection to the vast majority of the rear of the truck. If that thing provides any protection at all, it will do nothing in the event of an off-center impact.

OP
OP
Miamibert

Miamibert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Miamibert

Miamibert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^What @dewalt said. That step is almost certainly cast, and it'll shatter like glass upon heavy impact. And it's only 6 or 7 inches wide, providing absolutely no protection to the vast majority of the rear of the truck. If that thing provides any protection at all, it will do nothing in the event of an off-center impact.

The cast issue is definitely something to think about. As for off center, at an angle or far off center, there's noting I can do about that without going crazy. I have had my hitch on my F250 hit several times in traffic. It's always been somewhere between the center and the headlight of the offending vehicle. I didn't go with a hitch because I didn't like the look on the Raptor. Time will tell how it holds up.

OP
OP
Miamibert

Miamibert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miamibert That is probably cast. I have seen them break. It was a smittybilt that I saw broke. You would be better to get a clevis off a hummer that straddles the 2.5 inch tow hitch tube and use a grade 5 to secure the tow hitch
I doubt it's forged for under $60... I will look into the clevis.